positions

  • Mary Kay Ghiglia
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003

      I have a basic question -- I try to meditate daily, but am most comfortable lying flat.  I meditate using a TM technique, with a mantra that was given to me years ago.  However, your website has helped me understand that my focus need not be on simple sound, but may be focused, more object-driven as in prayer, drawing in/collecting, giving/sharing, breathing, etc. If I am not sitting up, is it still meditation, or should I just consider it a resting moment?  This is my experience>>  This particular "event" occurs: I focus, repeat my mantra, I sink into a void, physically, mentally. It takes between 10-15 minutes to get there, and it is a very brief experience, but consistent.  I feel like I am falling sometimes, my body jerks, it's a real jump,  and then I am back to my "focus" -- the mantra, the directed thought.   It is really wonderful, but I'm thinking that  maybe I shouldn't be lying down. I do a little Yoga first, before I meditate, just to get the breath in and out.... Am I simply falling asleep?...help!  Thank you so much.  Mary Kay Ghiglia

    • satkartar7
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay Ghiglia" <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:

        the advice to sit up during
        meditation is to avoid falling asleep

        even then when 'falling asleep' called
        to sleepitate during meditation has
        some benefit

        did you try to use a lots of pillows?
      • cornelius
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay Ghiglia"
          <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:

          Gee Mary, it sounds to me that your "sinking into the void" indicates
          the effectiveness of the meditation technique. If the horizon
          position makes you susceptible to sleepiness, why continue with it?
        • mozartkitty
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
            Any one out there with a meditation miracle, please let me know.
            My life is crazy right now. I am in El Paso, this is where I grew up,
            but i had been living in Nebraska for the past 16 years. Then my
            little brothers baby died of SIDS, and my moms health is not the
            best anymore, and to top it all off the man I detested growing up(my
            step-dad) fell in a drunken state and got irreversable brain damage.
            Well to make a long story short it does not take a rocket scientist
            to realize I am now needed here at home. My brother of course is in
            mourning, and my mom is in a wheelchair and has Hepatitis A,B,C, we
            believe it was from the transfusions from her accidents, so I am the
            one who is left to help everyone. This is why I was looking up
            meditation on the internet. I really think learning meditation will
            help me have a healthier state of mind, in turn allowing me to deal
            with all the issues at hand better. Any responses would be greatly
            appreciated. Thanks Kitty
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
              mozartkitty <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Any one out there with a meditation miracle, please let me know.
              > My life is crazy right now. I am in El Paso, this is where I grew up,
              > but i had been living in Nebraska for the past 16 years. Then my
              > little brothers baby died of SIDS, and my moms health is not the
              > best anymore, and to top it all off the man I detested growing up(my
              > step-dad) fell in a drunken state and got irreversable brain damage.
              > Well to make a long story short it does not take a rocket scientist
              > to realize I am now needed here at home. My brother of course is in
              > mourning, and my mom is in a wheelchair and has Hepatitis A,B,C, we
              > believe it was from the transfusions from her accidents, so I am the
              > one who is left to help everyone. This is why I was looking up
              > meditation on the internet. I really think learning meditation will
              > help me have a healthier state of mind, in turn allowing me to deal
              > with all the issues at hand better. Any responses would be greatly
              > appreciated. Thanks Kitty

              Dear Kitty,
              Well, you have come to meditation at the exact right time. There is no
              better way to deal with stress, and I'm sure it will benefit you
              greatly. I don't know if you found this group from our web site,
              Meditation Station, but in any event, I suggest that you check it out.
              http://www.meditationsociety.com
              You will find a very good beginners section, particularly the What is
              Meditation article. This will give you a good understanding of the
              basic "game plan" for meditation. Then I suggest you go through the
              Archives, where you will find dozens of "how-to" meditation
              techniques. If the title of one seems to get your attention, check it
              out and actually do it. The best way to learn about meditation is by
              meditating. I also suggest seeing if there are any caregivers support
              groups in your area. The ability to share your experiences with others
              is healing by itself, and the advise you get can be theraputic as
              well. Similarly, that is what this group is all about. If you have any
              questions or just want to share, you will find many wise and
              compassionate members on this group. I wish you well.
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
                <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:
                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay
                Ghiglia"
                > <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:
                > >

                > Gee Mary, it sounds to me that your "sinking into the void"
                indicates
                > the effectiveness of the meditation technique. If the horizon
                > position makes you susceptible to sleepiness, why continue with it?

                Hi, Cornelius and Mary,

                Mary, correct me if I am mistaken, but I did not hear you saying you
                became susceptible to sleepiness. I heard you say that you "sink into
                the void". Is it sleep? Do you feel the familiar 'been asleep'
                feelings when your body jerks back?

                Someone once told me that I shouldn't meditate lying down. Something
                about the necessity of vertical alignment of the spine in gravity.
                However, I find that the actual action of moving into mindful
                Savasana after my yoga practice is exactly as most people describe
                their meditation practice. I typically begin by aligning the body
                along the center line, removing distractions (such as unequal
                pressures or pulls on the skin), inhaling to locate tension, exhaling
                to release it, and down I go. This practice often moves me into 'the
                void' just as you describe it, complete with the jerk back. The first
                time it happened, my mind came back before my body, and it was quite
                a shock, as I couldn't find my body anywhere! LOL! I have come to
                equate the jerk back into the body with something like a 'rough
                landing', hehe, but no, it isn't sleeping. Personally, I haven't
                noticed any deleterious effects of this position for "meditation".
                What are your thoughts on it?

                Nina