Vipassana Meditation

  • preyong
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
      Vipassana Meditation from..........

      The Technique
      Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's
      most ancient techniques of meditation. It was rediscovered by Gotama
      Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal
      remedy for universal ills, i.e., an Art Of Living.
      This non-sectarian technique aims for the total eradication of mental
      impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation. Healing,
      not merely the curing of diseases, but the essential healing of human
      suffering, is its purpose.

      Vipassana is a way of self-transformation through self-observation. It
      focuses on the deep interconnection between mind and body, which can
      be experienced directly by disciplined attention to the physical
      sensations that form the life of the body, and that continuously
      interconnect and condition the life of the mind. It is this observation-
      based, self-exploratory journey to the common root of mind and body that
      dissolves mental impurity, resulting in a balanced mind full of love and
      compassion.

      The scientific laws that operate one's thoughts, feelings, judgements and
      sensations become clear. Through direct experience, the nature of how
      one grows or regresses, how one produces suffering or frees oneself
      from suffering is understood. Life becomes characterized by increased
      awareness, non-delusion, self-control and peace.

      To start sending messages to members of this group, simply
      send email to
      laybuddhistmissionaries@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to laybuddhistmissionaries, you may
      unsubscribe by sending an email to
      laybuddhistmissionaries-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To see and modify all of your groups, go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

      Regards,
      Moderator, laybuddhistmissionaries
    • aideenmck
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
        Hello,
        Later this year, or perhaps next year, I hope to go to "meditation
        boot camp" i.e. a ten-day retreat where the vipassana meditation
        technique is taught. I am turning seventy this year and have not
        been meditating for very long.
        I wonder whether I ought to have a better background than
        the "concentration" type of meditation that I practice (not as
        consistently as I might).
        I am more even-tempered than I used to be, less inclined to need
        to be "right", and there is a delightful synchronicity that goes on,
        so that I feel in tune with the universe (not every single day,
        certainly, but surprisingly frequently.) Rightly or wrongly, I
        attribute these happenings to a change in me brought about by
        meditation.
        Does anyone have any advice about my tentative plan? I feel that I
        need something like the vipassana course.

        Thanks,
        Aideen
      • Marc Moss
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
          Great plan!! His Holiness has an interpretation of Kamalashila's Bhavanakrama, the Steps on Meditation. Master Patnajali's Yoga Sutra (i believe)...very good.

          Pabongka Rinpoche's Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand explains a description of all of the different types of meditation, conditions of the environment conducive to meditation, the parts of a meditation practice, the preliminaries to undertake prior to meditating, the eight-point meditation posture, the best objects to focus the mind upon during meditation, the five problems which occur within meditation, the eight corrections to those problems, and the nine resulting meditative states which lead to the attainment of deep meditative concentration, or quietude (shamatha)

          aideenmck <aideenmck@...> wrote:
[...]

          Never miss an email again!
          Yahoo! Toolbar

        • rushi_kant
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26, 2007
            Certainly Aideen, you must learn Vipassana. You'll agree at the end,
            it's THE meditation technic. May it help you too to grow within
            yourself.
            Rushikant's love.

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Marc Moss
            <jellybean0729@...> wrote:

            > Great plan!! His Holiness has an interpretation of Kamalashila's
            Bhavanakrama, the Steps on Meditation. Master Patnajali's Yoga Sutra
            (i believe)...very good.

            > Pabongka Rinpoche's Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand explains
            a description of all of the different types of meditation,
            conditions of the environment conducive to meditation, the parts of
            a meditation practice, the preliminaries to undertake prior to
            meditating, the eight-point meditation posture, the best objects to
            focus the mind upon during meditation, the five problems which occur
            within meditation, the eight corrections to those problems, and the
            nine resulting meditative states which lead to the attainment of
            deep meditative concentration, or quietude (shamatha)

            > aideenmck <aideenmck@...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            > Later this year, or perhaps next year, I hope to go to "meditation
            > boot camp" i.e. a ten-day retreat where the vipassana meditation
            > technique is taught. I am turning seventy this year and have not
            > been meditating for very long.
            > I wonder whether I ought to have a better background than
            > the "concentration" type of meditation that I practice (not as
            > consistently as I might).
            > I am more even-tempered than I used to be, less inclined to need
            > to be "right", and there is a delightful synchronicity that goes
            on,
            > so that I feel in tune with the universe (not every single day,
            > certainly, but surprisingly frequently.) Rightly or wrongly, I
            > attribute these happenings to a change in me brought about by
            > meditation.
            > Does anyone have any advice about my tentative plan? I feel that I
            > need something like the vipassana course.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Aideen
            >

            > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
            then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
            Master Shantideva