Re: Meditation Tip #8

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > <jeff@s...> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
      > <
      > > no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Respect
      > > > Buddhist concepts state that
      > > > everyone you see was once your mother in
      > > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
      > > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
      > > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Mom.
      > >
      > > Love, Jeff
      >
      > Yo Mama, Jeff.
      >
      > This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
      > recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
      > fan, but he was perfect for that role.
      >
      > Nina

      Hey, Nina -

      Even though I love this
      lesson on respect, and may
      have been your Mama back
      in the Neolithic Age, I
      prefer the moniker "Jeff"
      or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.

      But whatever makes you feel
      secure and loved is fine
      with me.

      Best, Jeff
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
        > > > Thanks, Mom.
        > > >
        > > > Love, Jeff
        > >
        > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
        > >
        > > Nina
        >
        > Hey, Nina -
        >
        > Even though I love this
        > lesson on respect, and may
        > have been your Mama back
        > in the Neolithic Age, I
        > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
        > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
        >
        > But whatever makes you feel
        > secure and loved is fine
        > with me.
        >

        > Best, Jeff

        Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
        open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
        that "whatever makes you feel
        secure and loved is fine with me..."?
        You haven't surfed the fetish boards
        lately, have you?

        At any rate, I had a little trouble
        with the original meditation tip.

        It reminds me a little of some standardized
        test I took somewhere, in which I was required
        to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
        for logic. I'd say the group of statements
        regarding respect might rate pretty low as
        logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
        just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
        are due respect? It might be a little easier
        to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
        but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
        about it?

        Also, does the author think that in
        this culture, that statement offers motivation?
        I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
        sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
        hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
        differentiate from mommy dearest.

        I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
        made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
        if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
        enlightenment... at least for some of us.

        Sometimes, I think that if all
        the right words are included in a statement,
        all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
        can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
        just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
        morsels, please.

        Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
        bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
        list going with the tips, which are very serious,
        yet strangely humorous.

        Nina
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
          "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

          > > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
          > > >
          > > > Nina
          > >
          > > Hey, Nina -
          > >
          > > Even though I love this
          > > lesson on respect, and may
          > > have been your Mama back
          > > in the Neolithic Age, I
          > > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
          > > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
          > >
          > > But whatever makes you feel
          > > secure and loved is fine
          > > with me.
          > >

          > > Best, Jeff
          >
          > Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
          > open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
          > that "whatever makes you feel
          > secure and loved is fine with me..."?
          > You haven't surfed the fetish boards
          > lately, have you?
          >
          > At any rate, I had a little trouble
          > with the original meditation tip.

          > It reminds me a little of some standardized
          > test I took somewhere, in which I was required
          > to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
          > for logic. I'd say the group of statements
          > regarding respect might rate pretty low as
          > logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
          > just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
          > are due respect? It might be a little easier
          > to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
          > but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
          > about it?
          >
          > Also, does the author think that in
          > this culture, that statement offers motivation?
          > I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
          > sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
          > hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
          > differentiate from mommy dearest.
          >
          > I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
          > made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
          > if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
          > enlightenment... at least for some of us.
          >
          > Sometimes, I think that if all
          > the right words are included in a statement,
          > all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
          > can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
          > just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
          > morsels, please.
          >
          > Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
          > bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
          > list going with the tips, which are very serious,
          > yet strangely humorous.
          >
          > Nina

          Meditation Tip 8A:
          Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
          compare, judge, and comment about every
          statement that will lead to its end of
          being in the "master" position of your mind.
          Kir Li Molari
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003

            http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
              "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
              > > Meditation Tip 8A:
              > > Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
              > > compare, judge, and comment about every
              > > statement that will lead to its end of
              > > being in the "master" position of your mind.
              > > Kir Li Molari
              >
              > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html

              Yes, it's easy to see that this is what you are doing
              by posting the URL, unlike the spontaneous
              comment/tip by Kir Li Molari :-)