Re: Meditation Tip #8

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      <jeff@s...> wrote:
      <
      > no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Respect
      > > Buddhist concepts state that
      > > everyone you see was once your mother in
      > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
      > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
      > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
      >
      > Thanks, Mom.
      >
      > Love, Jeff

      Yo Mama, Jeff.

      This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
      recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
      fan, but he was perfect for that role.

      Nina
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > <jeff@s...> wrote:
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
        > <
        > > no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > > Respect
        > > > Buddhist concepts state that
        > > > everyone you see was once your mother in
        > > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
        > > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
        > > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
        > >
        > > Thanks, Mom.
        > >
        > > Love, Jeff
        >
        > Yo Mama, Jeff.
        >
        > This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
        > recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
        > fan, but he was perfect for that role.
        >
        > Nina

        Hey, Nina -

        Even though I love this
        lesson on respect, and may
        have been your Mama back
        in the Neolithic Age, I
        prefer the moniker "Jeff"
        or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.

        But whatever makes you feel
        secure and loved is fine
        with me.

        Best, Jeff
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
          > > > Thanks, Mom.
          > > >
          > > > Love, Jeff
          > >
          > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
          > >
          > > Nina
          >
          > Hey, Nina -
          >
          > Even though I love this
          > lesson on respect, and may
          > have been your Mama back
          > in the Neolithic Age, I
          > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
          > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
          >
          > But whatever makes you feel
          > secure and loved is fine
          > with me.
          >

          > Best, Jeff

          Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
          open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
          that "whatever makes you feel
          secure and loved is fine with me..."?
          You haven't surfed the fetish boards
          lately, have you?

          At any rate, I had a little trouble
          with the original meditation tip.

          It reminds me a little of some standardized
          test I took somewhere, in which I was required
          to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
          for logic. I'd say the group of statements
          regarding respect might rate pretty low as
          logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
          just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
          are due respect? It might be a little easier
          to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
          but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
          about it?

          Also, does the author think that in
          this culture, that statement offers motivation?
          I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
          sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
          hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
          differentiate from mommy dearest.

          I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
          made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
          if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
          enlightenment... at least for some of us.

          Sometimes, I think that if all
          the right words are included in a statement,
          all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
          can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
          just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
          morsels, please.

          Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
          bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
          list going with the tips, which are very serious,
          yet strangely humorous.

          Nina
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
            "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

            > > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
            > > >
            > > > Nina
            > >
            > > Hey, Nina -
            > >
            > > Even though I love this
            > > lesson on respect, and may
            > > have been your Mama back
            > > in the Neolithic Age, I
            > > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
            > > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
            > >
            > > But whatever makes you feel
            > > secure and loved is fine
            > > with me.
            > >

            > > Best, Jeff
            >
            > Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
            > open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
            > that "whatever makes you feel
            > secure and loved is fine with me..."?
            > You haven't surfed the fetish boards
            > lately, have you?
            >
            > At any rate, I had a little trouble
            > with the original meditation tip.

            > It reminds me a little of some standardized
            > test I took somewhere, in which I was required
            > to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
            > for logic. I'd say the group of statements
            > regarding respect might rate pretty low as
            > logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
            > just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
            > are due respect? It might be a little easier
            > to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
            > but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
            > about it?
            >
            > Also, does the author think that in
            > this culture, that statement offers motivation?
            > I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
            > sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
            > hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
            > differentiate from mommy dearest.
            >
            > I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
            > made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
            > if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
            > enlightenment... at least for some of us.
            >
            > Sometimes, I think that if all
            > the right words are included in a statement,
            > all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
            > can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
            > just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
            > morsels, please.
            >
            > Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
            > bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
            > list going with the tips, which are very serious,
            > yet strangely humorous.
            >
            > Nina

            Meditation Tip 8A:
            Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
            compare, judge, and comment about every
            statement that will lead to its end of
            being in the "master" position of your mind.
            Kir Li Molari
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003

              http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                > > Meditation Tip 8A:
                > > Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
                > > compare, judge, and comment about every
                > > statement that will lead to its end of
                > > being in the "master" position of your mind.
                > > Kir Li Molari
                >
                > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html

                Yes, it's easy to see that this is what you are doing
                by posting the URL, unlike the spontaneous
                comment/tip by Kir Li Molari :-)