Re: Meditation Tip #8

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
      no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Respect
      > Buddhist concepts state that
      > everyone you see was once your mother in
      > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
      > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
      > Therefore, respect is due to all.

      Thanks, Mom.

      Love, Jeff
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        <jeff@s...> wrote:
        <
        > no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > Respect
        > > Buddhist concepts state that
        > > everyone you see was once your mother in
        > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
        > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
        > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
        >
        > Thanks, Mom.
        >
        > Love, Jeff

        Yo Mama, Jeff.

        This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
        recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
        fan, but he was perfect for that role.

        Nina
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > <jeff@s...> wrote:
          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
          > <
          > > no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > > Respect
          > > > Buddhist concepts state that
          > > > everyone you see was once your mother in
          > > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
          > > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
          > > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Mom.
          > >
          > > Love, Jeff
          >
          > Yo Mama, Jeff.
          >
          > This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
          > recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
          > fan, but he was perfect for that role.
          >
          > Nina

          Hey, Nina -

          Even though I love this
          lesson on respect, and may
          have been your Mama back
          in the Neolithic Age, I
          prefer the moniker "Jeff"
          or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.

          But whatever makes you feel
          secure and loved is fine
          with me.

          Best, Jeff
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
            > > > Thanks, Mom.
            > > >
            > > > Love, Jeff
            > >
            > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
            > >
            > > Nina
            >
            > Hey, Nina -
            >
            > Even though I love this
            > lesson on respect, and may
            > have been your Mama back
            > in the Neolithic Age, I
            > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
            > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
            >
            > But whatever makes you feel
            > secure and loved is fine
            > with me.
            >

            > Best, Jeff

            Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
            open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
            that "whatever makes you feel
            secure and loved is fine with me..."?
            You haven't surfed the fetish boards
            lately, have you?

            At any rate, I had a little trouble
            with the original meditation tip.

            It reminds me a little of some standardized
            test I took somewhere, in which I was required
            to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
            for logic. I'd say the group of statements
            regarding respect might rate pretty low as
            logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
            just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
            are due respect? It might be a little easier
            to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
            but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
            about it?

            Also, does the author think that in
            this culture, that statement offers motivation?
            I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
            sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
            hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
            differentiate from mommy dearest.

            I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
            made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
            if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
            enlightenment... at least for some of us.

            Sometimes, I think that if all
            the right words are included in a statement,
            all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
            can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
            just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
            morsels, please.

            Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
            bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
            list going with the tips, which are very serious,
            yet strangely humorous.

            Nina
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
              "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

              > > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
              > > >
              > > > Nina
              > >
              > > Hey, Nina -
              > >
              > > Even though I love this
              > > lesson on respect, and may
              > > have been your Mama back
              > > in the Neolithic Age, I
              > > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
              > > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
              > >
              > > But whatever makes you feel
              > > secure and loved is fine
              > > with me.
              > >

              > > Best, Jeff
              >
              > Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
              > open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
              > that "whatever makes you feel
              > secure and loved is fine with me..."?
              > You haven't surfed the fetish boards
              > lately, have you?
              >
              > At any rate, I had a little trouble
              > with the original meditation tip.

              > It reminds me a little of some standardized
              > test I took somewhere, in which I was required
              > to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
              > for logic. I'd say the group of statements
              > regarding respect might rate pretty low as
              > logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
              > just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
              > are due respect? It might be a little easier
              > to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
              > but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
              > about it?
              >
              > Also, does the author think that in
              > this culture, that statement offers motivation?
              > I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
              > sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
              > hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
              > differentiate from mommy dearest.
              >
              > I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
              > made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
              > if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
              > enlightenment... at least for some of us.
              >
              > Sometimes, I think that if all
              > the right words are included in a statement,
              > all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
              > can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
              > just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
              > morsels, please.
              >
              > Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
              > bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
              > list going with the tips, which are very serious,
              > yet strangely humorous.
              >
              > Nina

              Meditation Tip 8A:
              Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
              compare, judge, and comment about every
              statement that will lead to its end of
              being in the "master" position of your mind.
              Kir Li Molari
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003

                http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                  "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                  > > Meditation Tip 8A:
                  > > Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
                  > > compare, judge, and comment about every
                  > > statement that will lead to its end of
                  > > being in the "master" position of your mind.
                  > > Kir Li Molari
                  >
                  > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html

                  Yes, it's easy to see that this is what you are doing
                  by posting the URL, unlike the spontaneous
                  comment/tip by Kir Li Molari :-)