Meditation Tip #8

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      Respect
      Buddhist concepts state that
      everyone you see was once your mother in
      another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
      everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
      Therefore, respect is due to all.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
        no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Respect
        > Buddhist concepts state that
        > everyone you see was once your mother in
        > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
        > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
        > Therefore, respect is due to all.

        Thanks, Mom.

        Love, Jeff
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
          <jeff@s...> wrote:
          <
          > no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Respect
          > > Buddhist concepts state that
          > > everyone you see was once your mother in
          > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
          > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
          > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
          >
          > Thanks, Mom.
          >
          > Love, Jeff

          Yo Mama, Jeff.

          This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
          recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
          fan, but he was perfect for that role.

          Nina
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
            <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            > <jeff@s...> wrote:
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
            > <
            > > no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > Respect
            > > > Buddhist concepts state that
            > > > everyone you see was once your mother in
            > > > another lifetime. Similarly, eventually
            > > > everyone will Realize and attain Buddhahood.
            > > > Therefore, respect is due to all.
            > >
            > > Thanks, Mom.
            > >
            > > Love, Jeff
            >
            > Yo Mama, Jeff.
            >
            > This mix of mama and buddhism reminds me of a movie I rented
            > recently: The Golden Child, starring Eddie Murphy. I'm not a big EM
            > fan, but he was perfect for that role.
            >
            > Nina

            Hey, Nina -

            Even though I love this
            lesson on respect, and may
            have been your Mama back
            in the Neolithic Age, I
            prefer the moniker "Jeff"
            or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.

            But whatever makes you feel
            secure and loved is fine
            with me.

            Best, Jeff
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
              > > > Thanks, Mom.
              > > >
              > > > Love, Jeff
              > >
              > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
              > >
              > > Nina
              >
              > Hey, Nina -
              >
              > Even though I love this
              > lesson on respect, and may
              > have been your Mama back
              > in the Neolithic Age, I
              > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
              > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
              >
              > But whatever makes you feel
              > secure and loved is fine
              > with me.
              >

              > Best, Jeff

              Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
              open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
              that "whatever makes you feel
              secure and loved is fine with me..."?
              You haven't surfed the fetish boards
              lately, have you?

              At any rate, I had a little trouble
              with the original meditation tip.

              It reminds me a little of some standardized
              test I took somewhere, in which I was required
              to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
              for logic. I'd say the group of statements
              regarding respect might rate pretty low as
              logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
              just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
              are due respect? It might be a little easier
              to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
              but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
              about it?

              Also, does the author think that in
              this culture, that statement offers motivation?
              I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
              sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
              hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
              differentiate from mommy dearest.

              I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
              made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
              if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
              enlightenment... at least for some of us.

              Sometimes, I think that if all
              the right words are included in a statement,
              all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
              can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
              just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
              morsels, please.

              Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
              bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
              list going with the tips, which are very serious,
              yet strangely humorous.

              Nina
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                > > > Yo Mama, Jeff.
                > > >
                > > > Nina
                > >
                > > Hey, Nina -
                > >
                > > Even though I love this
                > > lesson on respect, and may
                > > have been your Mama back
                > > in the Neolithic Age, I
                > > prefer the moniker "Jeff"
                > > or "Papajeff" to Mama Jeff.
                > >
                > > But whatever makes you feel
                > > secure and loved is fine
                > > with me.
                > >

                > > Best, Jeff
                >
                > Mama Mia, Jeff, do you know what you
                > open yourself to when you tell -anyone-
                > that "whatever makes you feel
                > secure and loved is fine with me..."?
                > You haven't surfed the fetish boards
                > lately, have you?
                >
                > At any rate, I had a little trouble
                > with the original meditation tip.

                > It reminds me a little of some standardized
                > test I took somewhere, in which I was required
                > to compare 5 groups of statement and rate them
                > for logic. I'd say the group of statements
                > regarding respect might rate pretty low as
                > logic goes. I mean, how does it follow that
                > just because someone is/was yo mama, that they
                > are due respect? It might be a little easier
                > to understand how a Buddha might be due respect,
                > but only slightly. I mean, what's so 'therefore'
                > about it?
                >
                > Also, does the author think that in
                > this culture, that statement offers motivation?
                > I mean, perhaps that group of statements would make more
                > sense in a culture that doesn't have people paying
                > hundreds of dollars to shrinks to help them
                > differentiate from mommy dearest.
                >
                > I don't get it - is there some equivalency being
                > made between motherhood and enlightenment? Because
                > if this is so, I know a fast and fun route to
                > enlightenment... at least for some of us.
                >
                > Sometimes, I think that if all
                > the right words are included in a statement,
                > all pretty and spiritual and all, the statement
                > can get swallowed whole. No questions asked,
                > just pass the next dish of tasty spiritual
                > morsels, please.
                >
                > Don't get me wrong, I love my momma,
                > bless her little heart, and Bob is keeping this
                > list going with the tips, which are very serious,
                > yet strangely humorous.
                >
                > Nina

                Meditation Tip 8A:
                Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
                compare, judge, and comment about every
                statement that will lead to its end of
                being in the "master" position of your mind.
                Kir Li Molari
              • Nina
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003

                  http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                    "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                    > > Meditation Tip 8A:
                    > > Witness your "inner chatterer" criticize,
                    > > compare, judge, and comment about every
                    > > statement that will lead to its end of
                    > > being in the "master" position of your mind.
                    > > Kir Li Molari
                    >
                    > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame53.html

                    Yes, it's easy to see that this is what you are doing
                    by posting the URL, unlike the spontaneous
                    comment/tip by Kir Li Molari :-)