Re: Question about pain (from Email)

  • satkartar7
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2003
      > That's really interesting, Jeff, to see how you approach this.

      yes, it is intwersting; Jeff just
      described the iner-light portion of
      santmat meditation

      > I tend
      > to have a very different approach to pain, one informed by 'no
      > escape', perhaps informed by the monthly facts of this female body,
      > perhaps informed by a sense of 'labor'... but it applies equally well
      > to most any pain.
      >
      > It is that when pain arises, I get square in the middle of it, like a
      > queen squatting in the dirt, and ride it, broad and far. I sink my
      > attention teeth into it, get absorbed by it, become it.
      >
      > I move my body into positions where the pain is more tolerable,
      > whatever positions those may be.
      >
      > Breathing is good, but I give myself permission (I originally wrote
      > persimmon! lol!) to breathe long, slow and deep, or to breathe
      > however I 'need' to, which, btw, even if it is ragged and disrupted
      > in the beginning, usually leads eventually to long, slow and deep,
      > and that 'respiratory wave' which is the 'essential breath'.
      >
      > There is another method, which is to breathe through the pain. Extend
      > the inhalation through the area that hurts, allowing the body to
      > expand in that area with the inhalation, then exhale and relax into
      > the pain, and/or imagine the pain washing out with the exhale, like
      > grains of sand moving with the ocean waves along a beach. If you have
      > trouble feeling the breath move through the pained area, put your
      > hands there and imagine that area welling with the breath.

      yes, this works well: I at times add:
      breath in and send that Prana to the
      parts to heal and breath out the PAIN
      itself

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I have gone thru 3 abdominal operations in 8 weeks and
        > need some pain relief meditation. I'm tired of taking pills
        > Thank you.

        Dear group,
        When I post the questions from Email, I have usually given my 2 cents
        worth, and always ask permission to get more help by posting them
        here. For instance, in this case, some of what I answered is below.
        Thank you from Y to all who answered with such valuable pointers. But
        what I want to focus on is one thing he shared with me, and that is
        that, as he put it, 'about 100 years ago' he used to visit Atlantic
        City and sleep under the boardwalk. Well, that struck home, as I did
        that many times in my youth (usually around the Chelsea beach area).
        As I witnessed the memories fill my minds eye, I also remembered how
        valuable memories can be in pain relief. For instance, I thought about
        how sometimes you can go into a patient's room who has intractable
        pain, and just by talking about their youth or a hobby or sport they
        are interested in, the pain is no longer there during the discussion,
        and for quite a while after. BTW, Y's wife happens to be a nurse, and
        I'm sure this is helping him with his physical recovery very much too.
        So what I am getting at is that if you know someone going through
        pain, or have the opportunity to volunteer your time and energy to
        those you don't know, but need help, just by talking with them, you
        will be able to help them tremendously. And of course, you will feel
        ten feet tall yourself, as is the case whenever you do good for others.

        OK here's some of what I replied to Y:

        Dear Y,
        My suggestion is to check out the Visualization of Cellular Healing
        Technique on our web site:
        It actually has many methods, and #8 is specific to pain, but they all
        have potential to help.
        *snip*
        As an RN, I do suggest following your physician's directions for pain
        relief, including taking the meds s/he directs, but I also know that
        meditation can help tremendously. I wish you well.
        Peace and blessings,
        Bob Rose, President,
        Meditation Society of America
      • satkartar7
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2003
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > I have gone thru 3 abdominal operations in 8 weeks and
          > > need some pain relief meditation. I'm tired of taking pills
          > > Thank you.
          >
          > Dear group,
          > When I post the questions from Email, I have usually given my 2 cents
          > worth, and always ask permission to get more help by posting them
          > here. For instance, in this case, some of what I answered is below.
          > Thank you from Y to all who answered with such valuable pointers. But
          > what I want to focus on is one thing he shared with me, and that is
          > that, as he put it, 'about 100 years ago' he used to visit Atlantic
          > City and sleep under the boardwalk. Well, that struck home, as I did
          > that many times in my youth (usually around the Chelsea beach area).
          > As I witnessed the memories fill my minds eye, I also remembered how
          > valuable memories can be in pain relief. For instance, I thought about
          > how sometimes you can go into a patient's room who has intractable
          > pain, and just by talking about their youth or a hobby or sport they
          > are interested in, the pain is no longer there during the discussion,
          > and for quite a while after. BTW, Y's wife happens to be a nurse, and
          > I'm sure this is helping him with his physical recovery very much too.
          > So what I am getting at is that if you know someone going through
          > pain, or have the opportunity to volunteer your time and energy to
          > those you don't know, but need help, just by talking with them, you
          > will be able to help them tremendously. And of course, you will feel
          > ten feet tall yourself, as is the case whenever you do good for others.
          >
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob
          >
          > OK here's some of what I replied to Y:
          >
          > Dear Y,
          > My suggestion is to check out the Visualization of Cellular Healing
          > Technique on our web site:
          > http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
          > It actually has many methods, and #8 is specific to pain, but they all
          > have potential to help.
          > *snip*
          > As an RN, I do suggest following your physician's directions for pain
          > relief, including taking the meds s/he directs, but I also know that
          > meditation can help tremendously. I wish you well.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob Rose, President,
          > Meditation Society of America

          your pointer is great Bob,