Tibetian Tantra Dzogchen Vajranya Buddhism

  • satkartar7
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2003
      According to the derivation of 'Tantra'
      from Tan, to spread, Tantra is that (Scripture) by which knowledge (Jñana)=

      is spread (Tanyate, vistaryate jñanam
      anena, iti Tantram).

      The Suffix Tra is from the root 'to
      save'. That knowledge is spread which
      saves. What is that but religious
      knowledge? Therefore, as here and
      generally used, Tantra means a particular
      kind of religious scripture.

      Tantra, or more properly tantrika,
      is a diverse and rich spiritual
      tradition of the Indian sub-continent.

      Although in recent years, in the
      Western world, it has become almost exclusively associated with sex, in
      reality this is one aspect of what is
      a way of life.

      In India itself, tantra is now, nearly always, associated with spells and
      black deeds. Neither of these views is
      correct, and each wildly underestimates
      the wide-ranging nature of the different traditions.

      The tradition, or perhaps better, the traditions, underwent many phases and=

      schools over this period of time,
      ranging from an extremely heterodox
      viewpoint to, in some cases, a very
      orthodox standpoint. Refer to this page
      to see the vast diversity of thoughts
      and practices subsumed under the word "tantra".

      a great Tantra page;

      <http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/tantra/>

      from Lama Surya Das:

      There are so many traditions and
      different issues we could explore later
      It says in the Vajrayana tradition,
      to recognize the guru as like Buddha,
      for if we see the guru as a Buddha, we
      get the blessings of Buddha.

      We can learn from the Buddha. The Buddha-energy will course through us,
      and eventually to others through us.
      We can get blessings and become Buddha.
      It says that if we regard the teacher
      as a Bodhisattva, we get the blessings
      of a Bodhisattva.

      If we see the teacher as ordinary, we
      get the blessings of an ordinary person
      and we don't become as spiritually
      realized as a Buddha or Bodhisattva.
      This is called daknang in Tibetan: the
      tantric practice of sacred outlook or
      pure perception.

      This practice--given the right intention
      training, guidance, concentration, and
      conditions--can sublimate and
      transmute sexual drive into higher,
      more spiritual aspirations. Through
      practices known as seminal retention, "melting and blazing," the "all-
      consuming fire of total embrace,"
      "mystic heat," and so forth, advanced practitioners have been able to
      redirect the release of energy upward
      through the body, opening all the
      chakras in continuous waves of full-
      body, orgasm-like bliss and consciousness

      Quite a contrast--in purpose and experience--to the more typical,
      brief, downward-releasing sexual
      climax, usually followed by dullness
      and sleep.

      This transformation of energy is
      Tantra's capacity for developing samadhi
      (concentrative absorption), expanding consciousness, and opening into medi=
      tation

      More than 1,000 years ago, the yogis of
      Bengal and Orissa in India developed
      this spiritual art, and a few still