995Walt Whitman - Leaves of Grass

  • Judi Rhodes
    Sep 3 10:24 AM
      " I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and
      self-contain'd,
      I stand and look at them long and long.

      They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
      They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
      They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
      Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning
      things,
      Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years
      ago,
      Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth."