  • satkartar7
    Jul 3, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a... wrote:
      > Hi Nina
      >
      > I very much enjoyed reading this,
      > and it moved me to share with you.
      >
      > you wrote:
      >
      > <<Who knows why it is so that I can
      > tell someone 100 times to press the ball mount of their big toe
      > firmly into the ground to get better balance and they finally hear it
      > the 101th time through, exclaiming, at that time, oh!, as if it were
      > a brand new piece of information.>>
      >
      > I've commented about this aspect to my teacher.
      > How i know i've heard him say something
      > many times but i was focusing on something else,
      > so it didnt mean anything to me at that time....but then
      > perhaps the next day when he says it and it 'clicks', and there
      > is an automatic movement in my body at that location--because
      > that is where the body wants to go in that moment....
      > that is where something is going on that wants to
      > adjust or balance or move or expand or melt....
      >
      > The way he teaches is to speak very detailed, systematic
      > directions non-stop,
      > in a very consistent
      > tone, timbre, volume, pace, (the word 'drone' comes to mind)
      > while he is one-pointedly focused on
      > observing everyone in the classes' postures. He is not doing the
      > postures himself....he is mostly padding around the room unobtrusively
      > in the background, observing and speaking. Although he will
      > demonstrate poses if he feels it is needed. It is not a rote thing....
      > everytime is different.
      >
      > Everyone in the class has their eyes open at all times, even in
      > Savasana,

      this is new for me!

      I've a teacher who likes to keep the
      eyes open [not during Savasana] and
      found out, that he was a Buddhist; who
      do meditate with the eyes open but
      DO NOT LOOK! it is an invard unfocused
      gaze

      > and focused straight
      > ahead, either on a point on their forehead, or wherever else the focus
      > should be--like, for instance, in Standing Head to Knee pose, the focus
      > is fixed on the standing knee, until eventually you can touch
      > forehead to knee.
      >
      > The atmosphere is naturally very meditative--
      > there is no talking by students before or during the class, and people
      > aren't checking each other out, except newbies to check out how poses
      > are done when the spoken instructions aren't being fully understood.
      >
      > So what he is saying
      > is coinciding with what he is seeing that needs attention brought to it,
      > and i hear what i am needing to hear and it is as if it is coming from within
      > me.
      > Nothing he says seems out of place, it is not distracting or irritating.

      <<Oh, and you might be tempted to
      > think that once one has this 101th time realization, that it would
      > stick. In actuality, even once realized, it may take much practice
      > for the grounding of the big toe mount to become 'nature'.>>
      >
      > Yes, right. The next day, your body may be working with other
      > things. And also, due to the fact that
      > the grounding of the big toe mount, or whatever
      > else it is, has not yet become automatic, conscious attention
      > is called for in order to 'cement' that new habit.

      <<One of the things the practice of hatha yoga offers is the
      > enhancement of physical mindfulness.>>
      >
      > Yes, very much so.
      > For instance, for example, when i am in Dandayamana-Dhanurasana
      > (Standing Bow Pulling Pose), i am focused on many things
      > at the same time: body alignment; keeping my arm raised to a certain
      > level; keeping neck and shoulders relaxed; gently pushing the raised
      > leg back and reaching the arm and hand up and forward with equal
      > attention and energy on each; when the leg can't be pushed back
      > any more, then it is raised upwards. But all the time, a fine balance
      > between all these things is required to be able to stay in the pose
      > without losing balance and falling.
      >
      > <This is mindfulness of the depth
      > of the body (can you sense your liver? can you sense your kidneys?
      > your craniosacral respiration? your celullar respiration?) as well as
      > the breadth of the body (can you maintain awareness of the grounding
      > of the big toe mount as you externally rotate your other leg? can you
      > maintain awareness of diaphragmattic breathing as you move through a
      > series of asanas?). Physical mindfulness is cultivated through a
      > process of physical inquiry, which uses 'sensation' as a starting
      > point.>>
      >
      > Yes...one pose where i experience very direct communication
      > with an organ (intestines) is the Wind Removing Pose (Pavanamuktasana).
      >
      > And, during poses and in briefly resting between poses,
      > i can also feel internal massage of lungs, kidneys, liver, heart,
      > pancreas, adrenals, thyroid, female organs.....diaphramatic
      > breathing becomes automatic.....it's just wonderful.

      << 'Sensation' is also the endpiece, as the deeper and broader
      > one goes into physical mindfulness, the more transparent the body
      > becomes, the more the spaces between sensation become perceivable.>>
      >
      > Nice!

      <<This is the key to the relation between asana and meditation. The
      > body dissolves in the same way the mind dissolves. It becomes clear
      > that the two, mind and body, or meditation and asana, are 'one and
      > the same'.>>
      >
      > Yes, this is so well-said, Nina.
      >
      > Just to share: My favorite pose (as of yesterday, ha ha), is
      > the Toe Stand Pose (Padangustasana), because
      > i am having fun with the balancing aspect,
      > taking on the challenge to one day be able to have both
      > hands at chest in prayer position, no shaking--
      > perfect balance. I think one reason i might be drawn to
      > this pose is because, as Bikram says, it helps develop
      > patience....and also good for knees, ankles and feet....
      > structural areas that are sensitive on me.
      >
      > I also just loooovvvvveeeee Supta-Vajransana (Fixed Firm Pose)
      > another knee, leg and ankle thing....
      >
      > Camel and Boat poses are perennial favorites, well i could go on....
      >
      > Great discussing yoga with you, Nina....
      >
      > Freyja
      >
      > Nina

      thanks, Karta
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic