9844Re: Sahaja Samadhi

  • Nina
    Jul 3, 2003
      D > > devi: that was a funny story,,i personally think
      > > > yoga theory is more important then asana,
      > > > but i don't think i'd confuse students out of
      > > > their asanas by giving speeches... but thats just me..
      > > > everyone is where their at...

      N > Yoga asana and philosophy feed each other,
      > > but they are only bridges.

      N > My emphasis is on inquiry; I choose to
      > > direct my students into their own
      > > exploration, rather than teaching
      > > a system of philosophy.

      > devi: it seems to me then all you need
      > to do is say once to a person "go do
      > inquiry* and then theres nothing else
      > to talk about then, right...

      LOL, devi, yes, you would think so! Who knows why it is so that I can
      tell someone 100 times to press the ball mount of their big toe
      firmly into the ground to get better balance and they finally hear it
      the 101th time through, exclaiming, at that time, oh!, as if it were
      a brand new piece of information. Oh, and you might be tempted to
      think that once one has this 101th time realization, that it would
      stick. In actuality, even once realized, it may take much practice
      for the grounding of the big toe mount to become 'nature'.

      One of the things the practice of hatha yoga offers is the
      enhancement of physical mindfulness. This is mindfulness of the depth
      of the body (can you sense your liver? can you sense your kidneys?
      your craniosacral respiration? your celullar respiration?) as well as
      the breadth of the body (can you maintain awareness of the grounding
      of the big toe mount as you externally rotate your other leg? can you
      maintain awareness of diaphragmattic breathing as you move through a
      series of asanas?). Physical mindfulness is cultivated through a
      process of physical inquiry, which uses 'sensation' as a starting
      point. 'Sensation' is also the endpiece, as the deeper and broader
      one goes into physical mindfulness, the more transparent the body
      becomes, the more the spaces between sensation become perceivable.
      This is the key to the relation between asana and meditation. The
      body dissolves in the same way the mind dissolves. It becomes clear
      that the two, mind and body, or meditation and asana, are 'one and
      the same'.

    • Show all 53 messages in this topic