8856wild roses Re: [Meditation Society of America] Cross-thinking

  • texasbg2000
    Jun 3, 2003
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > > Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
      > > inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".
      >
      > You come from the land of wild roses, don't you?
      >
      > We have a bush of them in our sideyard. The roses come and go, but
      > the thorns stick around. Allow me to assure you and Gurdjieff that,
      > in the case of wild roses, if it is thorns on the outside, then it
      > will assuredly be thorns on the inside, too! Ouch!
      >
      > prickly, or was that, pricked,
      > Nina

      There was a story about a bit of theater that Gurdjieff used to teach
      his group one night. He picked two people of different temperaments
      and said they would be part of an experiment.

      One, a doctor who always took part in discussions, was very well
      liked and knowledgable. He was a leader. The other participant was
      a young retiring man who seldom spoke and people knew little about.

      The person relating the story (I forget who), said that the first
      part of the experiment would be secret but that after about an hour
      had passed a strange transformation had taken place.

      The doctor was immobilized and could not speak. The young man who
      had been retiring was now holding forth at length on difficult topics.

      The point was that what is on the surface is not necessarily
      important and is not a good indicator of what is important.

      Love
      Bobby G.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic