865Re: Christian meditation - All

    Aug 6, 2002
      Dear Silauto, Tony, and all,
      Perhaps we can ask the question another way. What do religious
      (Christian) and non- religious meditations have in common. The word
      religion has as its root "Realization". And that's what meditators
      are seeking...Realization of who they are, who God is, what is the
      meaning of life, and so on. Many religious figures have meditated
      (think of both Jesus in the desert and Buddha under the Bodhi
      (Enlightenment) tree, both for 40 days), and come to Realization.
      They then had no more ???, just!!! The conclusions they came to were
      usually summed up in the instruction to look within (meditate)."The
      kingdom of God is within you"...Jesus, "He to whom you pray is nearer
      than the neck of your camel"...Mohammed,..."God dwelleth in all
      hearts"...Bhagavad Gita, etc. Even the (non-religious, non-Christian)
      scientist who is looking for the keys to how the universe works can
      be said to be meditating. He too is a Realization seeker. What the
      long tradition of religions offer are centuries old methodologies for
      the seeker to apply. Adoration of a Divinity by singing praises,
      chanting their name, emulating their perfection, and so on, are found
      in all religions. We have a very common meditation technique on our
      site that you may be interested in checking out. It "works" for the
      scientist who just thinks that energy at play is the cause of all
      things, as well as those who believe there is a creator of that
      energy. But it is probably most comfortable a technique for those who
      have a specific Being that they can visualize, such as Krishna,
      Jesus, Buddha. It can be found at this URL:
      Finally, I want to add that the best way to learn about meditation,
      is to meditate. The "quality" will be very clear with Realization. I
      am convinced that meditation, "religious", "non-relioious", whatever,
      is the best way to achieve the understanding that the directive to
      look within is aimed at.

      "silauto" <silauto@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Tony,
      > Thanks for your input.I think the older a religion, it pertains to
      > the vibrations of the people in the world then, so maybe in todays
      > times it may not be possible to get certain results.
      > All religions have their various prayers and passages which one may
      > do to arrive at a certain result.
      > I think one should have a short term and a long term aim while
      doing
      > anything, so what would be an aim in case of a non religious
      > meditation?
      > By saying christian meditation, I dont mean to say that this is
      > better or worse, but I think it is being widely practised maybe in
      > the churches, so the outcome is better known to a wider population.
      >
      > silauto
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Tony" <tosime@l...> wrote:
      > > Hi Silauto,
      > >
      > > While I don't have an answer to your question, I would like to
      pose
      > a more
      > > general question.
      > >
      > > How does religious meditation differ in quality from non-religious
      > > meditation?
      > >
      > > Has anyone practiced both forms and drawn any conclusions?
      > >
      > > ...Tony
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic