7321Re: Truth does the work -- with no before or after

  • dan330033
    May 3, 2003
      <mi_nok@y...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033"
      <dan330033@y...> wrote:
      > > As one great teacher said, about those seeking to get
      > > into states and those offering them, "the blind
      > > leading the blind."
      > >
      > > "There are none so blind as those who will not see."
      > >
      > > "Truth walked among them, but they knew it not."
      > >
      > > If Truth which is Life chooses you, you will know it
      > > immediately -- or if not, one may
      > > continue as a self with its images --
      > > images of states to be in or out of, anti-gurus,
      > > pro-gurus, guru-promoting, guru-bashing,
      > > guru-evaluating in the right and wrong ways, and
      > > techniques to be in favor of or against.
      > >

      > > Either Truth is the meditation that is doing you --
      > > or you are trying to do meditation to have an
      > > experience, to know something, to attain a realization ...
      > >
      > > The truth is right here, is not a drug or a state,
      > > is not something familiar, is not an image to
      > > which you have reactions pro or con.
      > >

      > Come off it pleeeeze Dan!
      >
      > you sound like that mutated oki when
      > talking about "stastes* etc
      >
      > THERE IS NO LIFE WITHOUT BEINFG IN
      > A *SATE*
      >
      > OK?`
      >
      > and some choses to work on refning it
      >
      > Karta

      Karta -

      This is exactly why Gautama said "life is suffering"
      because of the going in and out of states of being.

      And you can work on going into your desired states
      all you want -- that is nothing but your suffering.

      Gautama taught the end of suffering.

      It is the end of the one going in and out of states,
      and of the states of which that one goes in and out.

      Of course, the one going in and out of states, isn't
      going to like this news, and will find all kinds
      of ways to ignore and distort this truth if possible,
      so as to keep on with the same old investments,
      whether dressed in spiritual or material clothes.

      -- Dan

> [...]
      but
      > > the
      > > > Guru who may have had the greatest number of disciples who
      attained
      > > > Realization in the 20th Century was Swami Sivananda. He has
      left
      > > over
      > > > 350 books he authored that well demonstrate his first hand
      > > experience
      > > > and understanding of Enlightenment. But in his own eyes, he
      never
      > > saw
      > > > himself as something special. He would let his followers give
      him
      > > > flowers, pranam to him, sing his praises, and so on, as is the
      > > custom
      > > > in India. It was his habit to then go to his very humble room
      (he
      > > had
      > > > no Rolls Royces or Rolex's either), and hit himself on his back
      with
      > > > books while berating himself to himself with statements
      like "Who do
      > > > you think you are? You're just a sack of skin, filled with
      feces,
      > > > puss, urine, bile, etc" and other similar "beam me back down to
      > > earth,
      > > > Scotty" type statements. Why? Because he felt that all the
      glories
      > > > that he was showered with might divert him from his aim of
      helping
      > > > others. His whole life was one of service to others. He had
      been a
      > > > physician, and never stopped trying to heal the sick of body,
      mind,
      > > > emotions, or spirit. His entire teaching was summed up in the
      simple
      > > > formula "Be good. Do good." And the things he pointed to
      directly as
      > > > the greatest things to work on before and after Enlightenment
      were
      > > > compassion and humility. I am sharing this now because there is
      > > such a
      > > > tremendous amount of Guru bashing going on at various internet
      > > groups
      > > > and web sites. What I suggest is that if there is a judgement
      about
      > > > Guru to be made, it should be made upon the criteria of "Are
      they
      > > > compassionate and humble? Are they teaching that and living
      that?",
      > > > and of course, the content of the wisdom they share. It should
      not
      > > be
      > > > about their looks, what they wear, or even if they have or
      don't
      > > have
      > > > Rolls Royces.
      > > > And if you do find peace when you meditate about them and what
      they
      > > > teach, they may very well be worth continuing to learn from.
      And if
      > > > you meditate about them or what they teach, and it takes your
      peace
      > > > away, they are not a Guru for you, and you should not squander
      any
      > > > more energy on them by trying to tear them down, get revenge,
      > > feeling
      > > > anger over what they do, and so on. Just be compassionate
      towards
      > > > them, and stop carrying them around by filling your mind with
      > > thoughts
      > > > about them, or letting your body get tense, or your emotions get
      > > > riled up. Those type things just feed into your feelings of
      > > > self-importance and take away your humility and compassion, and
      thus
      > > > stop your spiritual evolution in its tracks. Be compassionate to
      > > > yourself. Don't let others (even if they are Enlightened)
      actions
      > > > create waves in your inner ocean. And if they say or do
      something
      > > that
      > > > you take personally, take that as an opportunity to experience
      > > > humility. You know - the "Turn the other cheek" thing. Oh yeah,
      one
      > > > other thing - I'm not advocating beating yourself with books.
      When
      > > you
      > > > see yourself filling up with pride because of some received
      praise,
      > > > it's OK to just smile, accept it, and go on with the quest for
      more
      > > > humility and compassion in gentler ways:-)
      > > > Peace and blessings,
      > > > Bob
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic