6962Re: [Meditation Society of America] It's About Time

  • texasbg2000
    Apr 26, 2003
      <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks for this Bobby. Although I do see precisely
      > what your saying here about retrospection and how it
      > often covers up the present moment, I also have
      > pondered what a reversal would entail.
      >
      > Similar to not being able to describe deep sea diving
      > unless one actually deep sea dives. I often wonder if
      > we would be able to slow, speed up, stop or reverse
      > the appearent speed of time, the duration.
      >
      > Peace and Love

      Hi Jason:

      Thanks for the response. I will ponder what you say about
      retrospection covering the present moment. The idea is my clumsy
      rendition from Henri Bergson the Nobel Laureate in Literature.
      Your loose screw is okay, it is non-threatening.

      Love
      Bobby G.

      > --- texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
      > >

      > > fellow time travelers:
      > >
      > > A few years ago i ran into this idea about time.
      > >
      > > Time should not be thought of as increments or
      > > spaces with a past and
      > > future incremental nature. It is more clear in a
      > > metaphysical sense
      > > to think of it in terms of duration.
      > >
      > > The duration of the current event is the present.
      > > The present lasts
      > > as long as the current event lasts. Then it is a
      > > past event. While
      > > shopping, shopping is the present moment. Then when
      > > it is finished
      > > it is the past and we can see it for its entirety.
      > > What we could not
      > > see about shopping while it was going on is now
      > > clear. This magazine
      > > is too expensive, these shoes are too red, etc. I
      > > shopped too long.
      > > It is the problem of involvement that keeps
      > > realization about the
      > > present moment on the back burner: that keeps us
      > > from seeing our own
      > > actions in context. That and the inablity to place
      > > the beginning and
      > > middle in perspective until we know the ending.
      > >
      > > It is the same problem as knowing how someone else
      > > will take what we
      > > say before we hear their response. Even then if we
      > > unwittingly
      > > offended them, the defenses will keep enlightenment
      > > at bay till the
      > > current event is over for some time.
      > >
      > > So at the end of the day we remember the shopping in
      > > context with the
      > > cooking and working and driving and offending and
      > > see the whole day
      > > as it was. So the shopping which is the past in one
      > > sense before the
      > > day was over, was still the present until the
      > > current event of the
      > > whole day was past. That day is put in context with
      > > other days and
      > > it becomes clear that nothing is the past.
      > > Everything is current.
      > >
      > > This allows us to see that only the current exists.
      > > Current is an
      > > interesting word. It also is a flow of energy.
      > >
      > > So a man falls off a cliff. Death is eminent. The
      > > whole life of the
      > > man is that current event which is ending.
      > >
      > > Love
      > > Bobby G.

      > http://search.yahoo.com
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic