      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: July 01
      Variation: Focus on breath
      Time: 08:30 a.m.
      Duration: 55 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Dark room. Candles. Incense. Essential Oil – (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell.
      Mind Chatter: Low.
      Waves of bliss: 2-3 light waves (not induced).
      Experience: Good session.

      Notes: Missed yesterday's session – slept late, woke late and could
      not get a good time during the day. While there were opportunities to
      meditate, from experience I sensed that the session would not be
      worth doing. (i.e. I had just eaten, was tired, had appointments or
      there were other distractions).

      Notes: The smell of burning brought me out of meditation to blow out
      the candle of my oil burner. The water/oil had dried up. Went back to
      meditation and continued where I left off – surprised at how easy it
      was to continue. An ideal setup for meditation is more a state of
      mind.

      Notes: Explored involuntary body actions during meditation. Today
      these included; a sudden deep breath, drooling, light spasm in arm,
      sudden itch. Concluded that these were all signs of deepening
      relaxation – my body is working normally.

      Insights: Reducing mind chatter. The quality of attention to mind
      chatter can help eliminate it. During my last meditation I thought
      that switching from mind chatter to the meditation helped to deepen
      the meditation. I realize now that it was not so much the switch but
      the quality of attention that eliminated the mind chatter and
      deepened the meditation.

      Snip from last session: "…From this experience I wondered if I could
      use a similar technique for channeling mind chatter to go deeper into
      meditation. With this realization all mind chatter stopped instantly!
      It was funny – I was almost laughing. It was as if all the mind
      chatter had run away to hide from instant destruction. Even when I
      feed thoughts, the mind chatter would not hook onto the thought to
      start threads of chatter. Eventually they came out and I tried it…"

      What happened here was that when I decided to try this technique, my
      mind went into a particular kind of focus, which eliminated the mind
      chatter. I was so surprised that I did not appreciate the kind of
      focus. The problem I have is that I can only sense this kind of focus
      based on the results. The focus does not really feel very different
      from other times during the meditation. I will probably have to watch
      and maybe develop a better sense for it. It is as if you have a panel
      of buttons in front of you and you press one and see the good effect
      but since each button feels like all the others you cannot be sure
      which one it was. To try to recognize the button, I developed an
      analogy. I imagined I was in a field watching for rabbits to pop up
      their heads. I knew they were burrowed underground. I had to be
      perfectly still, fully focused without tension in case I missed one
      of the rabbits. I had to gaze at the whole field without moving my
      head or eyes.

      Insight: Meditation is like putting our minds into a neutral gear so
      that we can process a shift in control from our "egoic" side to
      our "intuitive" side - (I am not sure which are the right words to
      use here). It is as if we are growing the connections during
      meditation.

      Questions: Can we develop our intuition by thinking through analogy
      rather than reasoning? How would this work?
    • Show all 99 messages in this topic