5596Insult, Flattery, and Compassion

  • asimpjoy
    Mar 31, 2003
      Insult:

      Is this the desire to hurt another through
      words or gesture. And why is one hurt, "psychologically"?
      Often one will insult another to protect one's self,
      ... As a defensive reaction to the feeling of being attacked?

      What makes one feel inwardly hurt - insulted?

      Is it because we want to maintain a certain idea or
      image about who we think we are, and so we get hurt when
      someone comes along and takes a poke at it - because we have become
      so identified and attached to this image we have about our self, and
      we don't want it to be disturbed?
      ... Or perhaps we want to maintain it in the eyes of others?

      Flattery:

      Is flattery the way we "butter-up" someone so we
      can get what we want from them.
      I know when I feel flattered, because it embarrasses me,
      and I get this strange feeling of being puffed up and manipulated.
      ... Maybe flattery is words with the hidden agenda of a selfish
      motive?

      Compassion:

      Its a strange thing Compassion, because you never know
      what it will do. It can insult you or flatter you without
      even the slightest hint of selfishness.
      It seems to act from the natural flow of Love - a compliment or
      reprimand,
      ... According to whatever is needed.

      I think that is why Compassion is often so misunderstood.

      I've noticed that there are those who you can't flatter or insult.
      ... Maybe they lost their image?

      With love and affection,
      Tony
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic