359Re: yet more questions...

    May 22, 2002
      Dear Lesley,
      You state "I am happy as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy
      making a contribution to society in some humanitarian way." You also
      ask about karma, and the question of having to become a renunciate in
      order to be a spiritually evolved person. Many monks, nuns, swami's
      and so on, are not overly happy, wise, are not making a contribution
      to humanity, and aren't particularly spiritual. A householder whose
      intentions are pure is far more advanced than a person who just wears
      the robes, but is empty of real goodness. The formula for spiritual
      development, karma, and a good reincarnation is as follows: The more
      selflessly you act, the better the karma. The greater the
      selfishness, the greater the suffering/bad karma/bad reincarnation.
      Acting always with humility and compassion is the perfect
      methodology.

      As the great Swami Sivananda said to summarize the 350+ spiritual
      books he had written, "Be good. Do good." If your "gut feeling" is
      that it isn't right to just acknowledge negative thoughts and not act
      on them, you can take the spiritual warrior path. This would involve
      action, demonstrated by witnessing your life as it takes place,
      emptying yourself of negativity when it arises, and filling with
      love. Since thoughts are the greatest cause of reactions, witness
      them with dispassionate discrimination, and don't let the negative
      ones come forward to become negative words, and then negative
      actions.

      I know it is considered somewhat of a cliché, but there is no
      doubt that being a good wife, mom, and woman can be the best
      contribution anyone can make to the world. To do these jobs perfectly
      necessitates being selfless, humble, and compassionate. Of course,
      the same is true of being a good husband, father, and man. Whenever
      these vocations are done properly, you are guaranteed good karma,
      spiritual growth, and all the other blessings ever dreamt of, and
      more. You have nothing to fear. You are going in the right direction.

      Lesley wrote:
      > I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
      > many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
      > detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.
      >
      > I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
      > as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
      > this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
      > question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
      > does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
      > back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
      > bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
      > of thoughts floating around.
      >
      > Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
      > thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
      > easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
      > toward oneness with the divine?
      >
      > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation
      and
      > spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
      > others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
      > as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
      > contribution to society in some humanitarian way.
      >
      > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
      > spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
      > Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
      > truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
      > priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
      > one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
      > journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
      > several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
      > and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
      > renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
      > why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
      > householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
      > this in your reply.
      >
      > Lesley
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic