346Question about separation from reality and anxiety

    May 15, 2002
      Question: I am currently on medication for anxiety and was told to
      meditate for 5 mins. a day because I have what some call separation
      from reality where nothing is real to me. I have been sitting in
      the Hatha yoga position and repeating to myself "back to reality" for
      5 mins. Is there another word that I can use or what exactly am I
      supposed to do? I have gone through the program at the Midwest
      Center for Anxiety and Depression twice and this feeling has not gone
      away. They sent me a 21 day program to follow and one of the things
      to do was to meditate but they didn't tell me how to do it.
      Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
      Answer: As a mental health professional (Psych RN), I must suggest
      that you follow your physician's directions, including taking your
      medications as you have been instructed to. As far as meditation, the
      words aren't as important as the intent. The words "back to
      reality" are fine if they have a great significance for you, and I
      feel they are probably exactly right for what you hope to achieve.
      The usual suggestion for meditation is two 20 minute sessions a day.
      Also, you may find some benefit by remembering this fine
      message "back to reality" several times during the day. It may help
      re-place and anchor you in "reality". For very easy to follow
      directions on how to do many different meditations, I suggest you
      check out our web site, Meditation Station
      http://www.meditationsociety.com
      I'm also going to post your email, without using your name, on our
      Yahoo Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meditationsocietyofamerica
      where over 100 meditators from around the world will see it and
      perhaps they will offer other suggestions. I wish you well.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America