342Re: "Self"less acts

  • wills_ghost_of_christmas_future
    May 13, 2002
      The selfless act is for the benefit of the person you are performing
      it for, of course!
      If you help an old lady across the road, it is for her benefit.
      If you share a sandwich with a hungry person, it is for their benefit.
      If you give all your money to the needy, it is for the benefit of the
      needy.

      We do this because we recognise that everyone is equally important,
      and since there is only one of us, and millions of other people - we
      must spend most of our time helping other people in order not to be
      selfish. Make sense?

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > -- When you do things for others, it is for one of two reasons:
      > 1)because it makes you feel good (which is actually a
      selfish
      > reason)
      > or
      > 2)because you recognize that your ego(self) is not who you are.
      > Your actions are truely in the service of others. They are
      true
      > selfless actions because there is no "self" motivated to do
      > the action.
      >
      > But then this lead me to ask, "Who" is the selfless act for?
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic