3007Re: Daily Practice

    Feb 1, 2003
      "judirhodes <judirhodes@z...>" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > I think it is likely that for 99+% of people, meditation is the
      > > valuable bridge that Ganga speaks of,
      >
      > ******* There really is no bridge, it's either one or the other and
      > never the twain shall meet.

      Well, actually it can be said that everything "meets" and is connected
      in all ways, always, and no-thing is ever never.
      There is a traditional and ancient way of looking at meditation as
      being like a boat that takes you from one shore to the other. But
      there are a few ways to look at this. There's a great Sufi story where
      Mullah Nasrudin is seen walking around town carrying a boat on
      his back. When asked why he was doing it, he replied "Well, it got me
      here and if I ever need it, I'm ready to go." So, in one way, we can
      infer that he is teaching us how silly it is to keep clinging to a
      "Way" when one has already arrived at the destination. After all, he
      is always seemingly the perfect fool that we all have within us, and
      is constantly demonstrating this in his actions. But in another
      perspective, it can be seen that perhaps he is teaching us that we can
      have a "use as needed" relationship with the technique that
      "works/worked" for us. We've all seen many Enlightened people who sit
      in meditation even after the Realization of their Enlightenment, and
      thus, the "no longer needed" position that their meditating takes. So,
      wassup with that? Perhaps just to set an example, perhaps because
      that's what they do, or perhaps to ????? But in any event, there is no
      better thing you can do for yourself, no better tried and true way to
      get to the "no longer needed" position of meditation, than by
      meditating.
      Using the boat analogy again, it is said that just as the wake that
      the boat leaves behind it doesn't propel the boat in any way, the past
      doesn't help us get from one shore to the other. And by looking at the
      past (our "wake"), at what we have been doing, at the things we have
      labled as suffering, at all that isn't here, now, etc., we are just
      spending time in illusion and delusion. As all meditation takes place
      now, in the present, it is automatically a more realistic position to
      be in to see what you are doing Now. And when Realization takes place,
      that present/gift of Grace alone, will be in the present.
    • Show all 79 messages in this topic