291Re: Reposting Famous Dead Guys (tm) Wisdom

  • eveneon
    Apr 12, 2002
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > There have been some comments recently on other newsgroups dealing
      > with the appropriateness of posting things that deceased teachers
      > have said. How do you feel about this? Personally, I think if it
      > pertains to helping understand the answer to a question, it is
      > definitly OK, but to just post it to share is another story that
      > requires a righteous motivation.

      I'm not sure I understand how the person being deceased makes any
      difference in whether or not something it is appropriate. It comes
      down to motivation, like you said. The questions is, how do you know
      what someone's motivation is? And, actually, consider the possibility
      that someone may post something for selfish reasons but someone may
      read it and gain something positive from it anyway. So...it's really
      hard to say if it is appropiate or not.

      > question was partly stimulated by an Email I received from a
      student
      > who had been going through her notes from class and really felt she
      > "heard" something loud and clear that had earlier not really
      > registered when she first heard it. Here's the quote she responded
      to:

      > Bhagavan Ramana:
      > "Seek the Self through meditation.
      > In this manner, trace every thought back to its
      > origin, which is only the mind. Never allow thought
      > to run on. If you do, it will be unending. Take it
      > back to its starting place, the mind, again and
      > again, and it and the mind will both die of
      > inaction. The mind exists only by reason of
      > thought. Stop that and there is no mind. As each
      > doubt and depression arises, ask yourself, "Who is
      > it that doubts? What is it that is depressed?" Go
      > back constantly to the question, "Who is the 'I'?
      > Where is it?" Tear everything away until there is
      > nothing but the Source of all left. And then - live
      > always in the present and only in it. There is no
      > past or future, save in the mind."

      I don't think I have ever read this before. I like it. Especially the
      line "The mind exists only by reason of thought." Reading something
      like this reminds me to witness my mind's activity. To notice whether
      I am "caught up" in my own mind at any given moment.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic