18876Re: Words of Wisdom by Voltaire

    Aug 1, 2014
      The content of what is shared is, of course, what matters, but maybe just because Swami Sivananda is one of my favorite authors (I've read over 75 of his books), and I felt sort of proud of Swamiji, I googled Voltaire quotes, and then searched within that site the (pretty unique, but used correctly here) word 'finitude' and this was the first one that came up:
      https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=finitude&commit=Search
      so, it possibly really was a Voltaire quote.

      Semi-interestingly,  this little event gave me the opportunity to witness my ego attaching with pride to my connection to Swami Sivananda for a moment  before Google humbled me a bit. Along with Compassion, I think Humility is the very best vehicle to carry one to an evolution in consciousness, so I appreciate not just Voltaire/Swamiji's wise sharing, but the way this forum gave me another insight into my spiritual ego at work. Thanks W as usual for being a source of spiritual fuel. BTW, I can safely save anyone reading this the sum total of the wisdom reading 75 of Swami Sivananda's books brought me - as he once summed up all of his teaching in 4 words...."Be good. Do good." But for sure I do suggest that it will help greatly in knowing how to be and do good if you read any of his books, and his words will lighten and enlighten your path to living happily ever after!

      ---In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, <calhorn@...> wrote :

      FWIW, I doubt that quote is actually by Voltaire.  It's just as often attributed to Swami Sivananda.