18841Re: The Key to Meditation

  • walterhorn
    Jun 15 7:10 PM
      "Meditation is a process of lightening up, of trusting the basic goodness of what we have and who we are...."

      I particularly like that portion of the quote. It seems to me sometimes that humans (like many other animals) are programmed with a flight-or-fight response.  And that's a good thing on many occasions.  But are things in the world that can't be fought or run from. Change, aging, deterioration, and death, for example.  To run from them or try to fight them is simply to futilely rebel against what is. Even worse.  We're part of this universe, so to try to run away or fight it is, in a sense, to fight with or run from ourselves.

      Meditation is a wholly different way. And it's not one that comes with our animality.  It's a way of acceptance. It's calming rather than blood-pressure-raising. Once we learn it, we will find that it comes to our aid during the worst times in our lives--times that can't either be run from or fought.