18821Re: J. Krishnamurti on controlling thoughts

  • dan330033
    May 7, 2014
      Yes, when you follow thought, without trying to construct a thinker of the thought, you are free to see what thought is.  I like where he says it's not just "the upper part" of mind that is still.  Well-said.  Not just the attic, but the whole house is still, even the beasts in the basement.

      Thought seems to form a house, a world within its domain of time and memory.

      But is there a real world in there?  If there isn't a thinker to exist in it?

      No, and no.

      It is a reflection, of a reflection ... ad infinitum.

      Like ripples in Lake Nothing, or Lake Awareness, if you will.

      - Dan

      ---In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote :

      Question: In order to have peace of mind?, must I not learn to control my thoughts?

      Krishnamurti: [....] My mind wanders. Why? I want to think about a picture, a phrase, an idea, an image, and in thinking about it I see that my mind has gone off to the railway or to something that happened yesterday. The first thought has gone, and another has taken its place. Therefore I examine every thought that arises. That is intelligent, isn't it? But you make an effort to fix your thought on something. Why should you fix it? If you are interested in the thought that comes, then it gives you its significance. The wandering is not distraction - do not give it a name. Follow the wandering, the distraction, find out why the mind has wandered; pursue it, go into it fully. When the distraction is completely understood, then that particular distraction is gone. When another comes, pursue it also.
      [....]
      When the mind follows and understands every thought there is no distraction, and then it is quiet. Only in freedom can the mind be silent. When the mind is silent, not only the upper part, but fully; when it is free from all values, from the pursuit of its own projections, then there is no distraction; and only then reality comes into being.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic