18810Words of Wisdom by Swami Saechidananda

    Apr 16 6:25 PM

      Doing The Right Thing

      How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple: The right thing will not disturb your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would adversely affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything.

      This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

      Sometimes, though, when you help somebody you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. If you get upset, it means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

      That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: You want the person to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

      In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

      Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi