18676Repost From a Request to Know More About the Witness Within

    Jul 13, 2013
      A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

      You're sitting comfortably in your favorite spot, all is well,
      you're calm, cool, and collected. You start to meditate,
      perhaps repeating a mantra, and then you find you just
      can't concentrate. Let's say that you intend to say OM over
      and over. What sometimes happens is that after you say OM a
      few times, your inner chatterer starts making comments. It may
      go like this…"Om sounds like home. Boy, wouldn't it be
      nice to buy a new home." And then it continues "They just built
      a few new homes in New Jersey. If I take the turnpike I can get
      there pretty quickly. But there may be a lot of traffic. I might
      get stuck in it for hours", and so on, and so on. So, there you
      are, not just not experiencing OM, but now you're in gridlock
      and starting to feel road rage! Then, you realize that you've
      lost your concentration and instead of just returning to meditating on OM, your inner chatterer starts chastising you with
      statements like "You can't meditate! You're no good! You're incompetent!' and so on. Then it starts filling you with
      self-pity things like "I suffer so. If only I could control
      my mind, but I can't and never will." Of course, this is even
      further away from OM than driving on the turnpike. But there is
      also something very good happening as well, and it may prove to be far more beneficial in the long run than if you would have had a meditation that included visions of heaven and feelings of bliss.

      There is an awareness, a consciousness within you that is a silent Witness to everything your senses react with, your mind thinks, and your emotions feel. It has been witnessing since you were born. When you were a baby and couldn't judge, compare, or comment in any way about anything, it was already witnessing. As a matter of fact,
      this Witness is your only hope of eternal life. Your body will drop. Your thoughts and emotions will stop. These things have never had
      any permanence whatsoever. The only thing about them that never changes is that they are always changing. Our Witness is the only part of us that has been changeless and is the only part of us
      that has the possibility of surviving death.You are not your
      body, you are not your emotions, you are not your mind. The Witness is the Real Self. When you meditate it is the Witness who will recognize that you have stopped concentrating, or are distracted,
      or are demeaning yourself. You then can stop it and direct your consciousness to what is appropriate. This is Real Self-control.
      This puts you in the position of benefiting greatly when your
      attempt at meditation "fails". You will begin to recognize not
      just that you have lost your concentration, but what caused you
      to divert your attention. Sometimes you will be able to become
      aware of habitual behaviors that have distracted you. For instance,
      sounds or other physical sensations may cause you to tense up or
      get emotional. Certain type thoughts or emotions, like lustful
      ones, may lead to diverting your focus. When these subconscious reactivities come to the surface under the light of the Witness,
      you will be free from their power. There is no doubt that if you realized that your head has been hurting because you have been banging it against a wall, you would stop doing it. And your pain would disappear. Similarly, when you cease reacting to the conscious and subconscious distractions that have been banging you around,
      your concentration will be firm and your meditation will flow
      freely to you, infinitely and eternally. These are the good things
      bad meditations present to you. Most importantly, they almost force you to seek refuge in your Witness, and the more you do, the more
      you realize and experience the reality of your union with the pure
      consciousness that is your real identity. And your suffering ends.

      So, when you are having a "bad" meditation, it is a tremendous opportunity to learn and evolve. All the things that have been interfering with your at-oneness with your Witness will be laid
      bare before you. Therefore, when you're having any type meditation, it's "good" and leads to the inevitable – living happily ever after.