18640The Addiction of the Mystic

    May 19, 2013
      "The mystic is tempted by his love for God, even after
      he discovers that maintaining that duality separates him
      from the totality, which, of course, is the manifest God.
      So the poor mystic is in a real dilemma. He's been fasting
      and praying and doing all kinds of austerities for all
      these years. He loves his God with all his heart. He prays
      to God every hour of every day. God returns his worship with
      words of love. One day he asks God for insight into the
      nature of the absolute and the boundryless nature of life
      is revealed to him. God shows the mystic that the God he
      worships is the mind's projection. God shows the mystic that
      there is no mystic who worships, and no God to be worshiped.
      There is no separation. There is no difference. The mystic
      is in rapture. He calls to God his thanks, his praise, his
      ever lasting love. But, there is only silence in response.
      In the mystic's realization of non-duality God has vanished.

      So, after a very long night of consideration of the
      boundryless-ness of life, the mystic calls to God once
      more. This time he asks for one last boon. The mystic asks
      God to take away the knowledge of that true nature of life
      and to return as his object of love.

      Of course, the boon is granted, the mystic once again can
      worship his God. He soon forgets the totality. He is addicted
      to separation.

      In our lives we have built our social constructions around
      our separation. These are the concepts through which we
      organize and communicate our reality. We have forgotten
      the totality of our existence, and, yet, the pain of our
      lives, the gnawing emptiness and the compulsion to fill
      it, are reminders that there is something beyond separation.
      But, we can never remain still enough to see what is beyond.
      We can never quiet our mind or our lives. We are addicted
      to separation."

      From an interview with Steven Harrison