18497Re: Getting started

  • krishna
    Dec 16, 2012
      Hi,

      I am very new to this group and would like to share my views based on my past knowledge and experiences. First of all i would like to mention that Meditation is very different from Concentrating. I feel that various technique which our friends mentioned here are a way to concentrate and not meditation. Of course concentrating is a step towards Meditation. It was very well said by Lille that meditation is just as yoga. In fact I would say both are same- which is a process for the unification of soul with God. But this occurs at a very later stage so there is need for concentration or we can say the very first step towards Yoga.

      Various techniques say it be TM Technique, Dr. Wayne's technique or controlled breathing provides only a short span of concentration which works only for the time we are doing these practices but does not give us long time improvement to our concentration. I am practicing a very ancient technique mentioned in the earliest scriptures Vedas called Vihangam Yoga. In this technique I just meditate for 10 minutes morning and evening on a certain specified point on our body. On practicing this, we can see the difference within few weeks. I have been doing this technique since my childhood and has transformed my life drastically than it was before. The very speciality of Vihangam Yoga is that it is divided in 5 stages and first three stages is completely devoted for the purification of the mind. I can talk more on this but it would be good that you look sometime for your self on internet about this technique and come with more question.

      Rest, i will pray to the lord that he enlightens your path with the right meditation technique.

      All the Best,

      krishna

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, lindamdc <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I am new to meditation, too. It is my experience that meditation is a practice just as yoga is a practice. It comes by practicing and doing it regularly. There are no quick and easy "tricks". For me, it is all about enjoying the journey and learning what resonates with me. Each meditation is different.
      >
      > I find it best to sit quietly and I listen to Dr. Wayne Dyer's "I Am Meditation" (but any meditation is fine). I then sit quietly with my eyes shut and clear my chakras. Then I ask myself: "What do I need to know?" If my mind gets cluttered with dialogue, I gently thank it and refocus on my breathing. In through the nose...out through the mouth breathing from the belly.
      >
      > I have found that I can go to my local library and there are guided meditations I can borrow and also New Age music I can use.
      >
      > Also, if you google "Om Meditation" youtube has different Om Meditations for different lengths of time. I have found these very helpful.
      >
      > I have wondered about TM and have heard that it is very over rated and expensive. But I do not have any direct experience. If you have a friend that knows about TM maybe that would be helpful. I would be curious to know what techniques your friends teaches in relation to TM.
      >
      > Hope this was helpful and good luck with your meditation practice.
      >
      > Lille
      >
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "douglasedarling" <douglasedarling@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would greatly appreciate advice on getting off on right foot in this meditation stuff. I have been to one lecture where the primary aim was to pick my pocket. A friend who is a yoga instructor has offered to work with me on initial TM techniques. What to do, what to do? DD

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic