18475Re: The Undesirable Visitors by Paulo Coelho

  • walto
    Nov 28, 2012
      I like this. It seems particularly good advice to internet users!

      But I don't really understand the opening "No doors" line. I mean, if there are no doors, thieves wouldn't be a problem even if there WERE valuables inside, would they? And it would be quite hard to give anything to those in need if everyone inside is locked in there. Besides, minds actually *do* have "doors" (of perception).

      Anyhow, it seems to me that it might be clearer if it opened with something like the simple, gracious "'How may I help you?' Shanti asked the visitor."

      Best,

      > Please see how this charming story relates to your
      > own mind and its thoughts. Enjoy!
      >
      > The Undesirable Visitors
      >
      > `We have no doors in our monastery,' Shanti said to the visitor.
      >
      > `And what do you do about thieves?'
      >
      > `We have nothing of value inside. If we had, we would have
      > given it to those in need.'
      >
      > `And what about troublesome people who come to disturb your peace?'
      >
      > `We ignore them, and eventually they go away,' said Shanti.
      >
      > `Is that all? And does it work?'
      >
      > Shanti did not reply. The visitor repeated his question a few
      > times, but seeing that he got no response, he decided to leave.
      >
      > `You see how well it works,' said Shanti to himself, smiling.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic