18470Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Nov 17, 2012
      The Purpose of Practice

      "The purpose of all our spiritual practices is to
      slowly make the mind thinner and thinner and thinner.
      In order for the mind to get thinner, we should
      understand why it gets thickened. The mind is thickened
      by the thoughts, by the desires. The more thoughts
      in the mind, means the bigger and thicker the mind.
      When the thoughts and desires are reduced little by
      little, then the mind becomes thinner and thinner.
      And in a thoughtless condition, the mind is almost nil.
      Think of a piece of cloth. Because the threads are
      arranged in a particular way, you call it cloth.
      If you slowly pull off the threads, what happens to
      the cloth? It vanishes. So, this is how meditation
      and other Yoga practices help us to transcend the mind.