18419Re: Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Sep 9, 2012
      OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
      gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
      member and a friend of his have started to make knives
      and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
      to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
      unusually informative meditative experiences...
      IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
      yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
      that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
      attention where one's individual identity melts away and
      a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
      Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
      still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
      itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
      using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
      BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
      should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
      being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
      almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
      heat subside.
      Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
      wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

      > I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
      > the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
      > Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
      > I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
      > with several of our members there in past shows and
      > look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
      > venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
      > serve beer!?!?!?
      > Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
      > for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
      > the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
      > They're so nice that one may not even notice the
      > hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
      > kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
      > make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
      > or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
      > my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
      > Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
      > teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
      > become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
      > and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
      > Hope to see you soon!
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic