18354The Heart of Meditation

    Jul 13, 2012
      "In Pali, heart and mind are one word (citta),
      but in English we have to differentiate between
      the two to make the meaning clear.

      When we attend to the mind, we are concerned with
      the thinking process and the intellectual understanding
      that derives from knowledge, and with our ability
      to retain knowledge and make use of it.

      When we speak of "heart" we think of feelings and emotions,
      our ability to respond with our fundamental being.
      Although we may believe that we are leading our lives
      according to our thinking process, that is not the case.
      If we examine this more closely, we will find that we
      are leading our lives according to our feelings and that
      our thinking is dependent upon our feelings. The emotional
      aspect of ourselves is of such great importance that
      its purification is the basis for a harmonious and peaceful
      life, and also for good meditation."

      Ayya Khema (August 25, 1923 - November 2, 1997)
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic