18271Re: Words of Wisdom by George William Russell - AE. (4/10/1867-7/17/1935)

  • walto
    May 8, 2012
      Thanks for this, Bob. FWIW, I adore the descriptions of AE in George Moore's _Hail and Farewell_, which is my very favorite memoir. It's a great book, and AE was an awesome character.

      > "When our lamp is lit, we find the house of
      > our being has many chambers, and creatures live
      > there who come and go, and we must ask whether
      > they have the right to be in our house; and
      > there are corridors there leading into the hearts
      > of others, and windows which open into eternity,
      > and we hardly can tell where our own being ends
      > and another begins, or if there is any end to our
      > being. If we brood with love upon this myriad
      > unity, following the meditation ordained by Buddha
      > for the brothers of his order, to let our minds
      > pervade the whole wide world with heart of love,
      > we come more and more to permeate, or to be
      > pervaded by the lives of others. We are haunted
      > by unknown comrades in many moods, whose naked
      > souls pass through ours, and reveal themselves
      > to us in an unforgettable instant, and we know
      > them as we hardly know those who are the daily
      > comrades of our heart, who, however intimate,
      > are hidden from us by the husk of the body.
      > As the inner life grows richer we beget more
      > of these affinities. We wonder what relation with
      > them is rightly ours. Do we affect them by a
      > sympathy unknown to them as they move us by a
      > revelation more intimate than could be uttered
      > by words? We discover in ourselves a new sense."
      > Fair Use Notice: This document may contain
      > copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically
      > authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that
      > this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web
      > constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material
      > (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).
      > If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes
      > of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain
      > permission from the copyright owner.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic