18156J. Krishnamurti on Meditation

    Feb 10, 2012
      We are going to enquire into what is the
      meditation, not how to meditate. You have
      asked, `Tell me how to meditate', which is
      to give you a system, a method, a practice.
      Do you know what practising every day does
      to your brain? Your brain becomes dull, mechanical,
      it is tortured, making effort to achieve some
      silence, some state of experience. That is not
      meditation. That is just another form of achievement
      like a politician becoming a minister. In your
      meditation, you want to achieve illumination,
      silence. It is the same pattern repeated; only,
      you call it religious and the other calls it
      political achievement. There is not much difference.

      What is meditation, what does that word mean?
      If you look up the dictionary, you'll find it
      means to ponder over, to be able to think clearly,
      not with confusion, not with personal objectives,
      but clearly, to think. It needs clarity.
      Meditation also means measurement, to measure.
      We are always measuring, which is comparing -
      I am this, I will be that, I will be better -
      which is a form of measurement. The word `better'
      is measurement. To compare yourself with another
      is a measurement. When you tell your son or
      somebody that you must be like your elder brother,
      that is measurement. We live by measurement; we
      always compare. That is a fact. Our brain is
      conditioned to measure - I am this today, I hope
      I will be different in a year's time, not physically but psychologically. That is a measurement.

      Now, to live without measurement, to be totally,
      completely, free of all measurement, is part of
      meditation. Not that `I am practising this, I
      will achieve something in a year's time.' That
      is measurement which is the very nature of one's
      egotistic activity. In schools we compare, in
      universities we compare. We compare ourselves
      with somebody who is more intelligent, more beautiful
      physically - there is this constant measurement
      going on. Either you know it consciously or you
      are not aware of this movement of measurement.
      Meditation is the ending of measurement, ending
      of comparison, completely. See what is implied in
      it - that there is no psychological mark. Tomorrow
      is the measurement of what is in time. Do you
      understand this? So measurement, comparison, and
      the action of will must end completely. There is
      no action of will in meditation. Every form, every
      system, of meditation is an activity of the will.
      What is will? I will meditate, I will sit down
      quietly, control myself, narrow down my thoughts
      and practise - all that is the action of desire,
      which is the essence of will. In meditation there
      is no activity of the will. Do you understand the
      beauty of all this? When there is no measurement,
      no comparison, no achieving or becoming, there is
      the silence of the negation of the self. There is
      no self in meditation. So a mind, a brain, that
      is in the act of meditation is whole. The whole
      of life is meditation, not one period of meditation
      when you meditate. Meditation is the whole movement
      of living. But you have separated meditation from
      your life: It is a form of relaxation like taking
      a drug. If you want to repeat, repeat Coca Cola or
      any other cola which has the same effect to dull
      the mind, whereas in meditation, when there is no
      measurement, when there is no action of the will
      and mind, the brain is entirely free from all systems.
      Then there is a great sense of freedom. In that
      freedom there is absolute order, and that you must
      have in life. Then, in that state of mind, there
      is silence, not wanting, desiring to have a quiet
      mind, but there is freedom from measurement. In that
      freedom there is absolute order, there is silence.

      Then, is there something sacred, not invented by
      thought? There is nothing sacred in the temple,
      in the mosque, in the churches. They are all the
      inventions of thought. When you discard all that,
      is there something sacred that is nameless, timeless,
      something that is the outcome of great beauty and
      total order which begins in our daily life? That
      is why meditation is the movement of living. If
      you do not understand the basis of all this that
      is our life, our everyday reactions or behaviour,
      your meditation has no meaning whatsoever. You can
      sit on the banks of the Ganga or some place and
      do all kinds of tricks with yourself. That is not
      meditation. Meditation is something that is of
      daily life. It is your movement of life, and then
      there is in that movement freedom, order, and out
      of that flowers great silence. Only when you have
      come to that point, one finds there is something
      absolutely sacred.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic