18132What To Know About The Mind

    Jan 26, 2012
      "The mind is like tangled silk that needs
      sorting to be in good working order. It is
      like an ancient mirror that requires a good
      polishing in order to shine, or a wild horse
      that needs to be tamed. The mind is our master,
      leading the daily activities of our eyes, ears,
      nose, tongue, and body. Within our everyday
      activities, a single thought may ruin our lives
      or reputations, or help us gain success and fame.
      Buddhist sutras compare the ungoverned mind to
      the likes of thieves, vicious beasts, monkeys,
      and kings. Therefore, it is absolutely critical
      to govern the mind! So what kind of power can we
      use to subdue the mind? The following are three
      suggestions that anyone can follow.

      "1. Know how to cultivate the mind. We repair
      furniture when it is broken, water pipes when
      they leak, and clothes when they are torn. If
      the mind has become smeared by greed, ignorance,
      and arrogance, how do we repair it? We need the
      instruments of compassion, joy, generosity, meditation,
      morals, and practice to treat it.

      "2. Know how to calm the mind. The mind is like
      a monkey or a horse. If we are not careful, it
      will commit all kinds of unwholesome deeds. Ming
      Dynasty scholar Wang Yangming said, 'It is easy to
      capture a bandit in the mountains; it is difficult
      to catch the thief in the mind.' Calming the mind is
      like soldiers apprehending bandits or the police
      arresting thieves. Where are our soldiers and police?
      Right thinking is our soldier and right view is our
      police. We have to make good use of them in order to
      calm our minds.

      "3. Know how to use our minds. We are often manipulated
      by the mind but do not know how to use it properly.
      It is said that the mind labors for its physical form.
      It is often influenced by our desires and external
      circumstances. It is driven by sight, sound, smell,
      touch and perception from outside. The greed, anger,
      and ignorance of the mind keeps pushing and working
      against us. So we must master our minds."

      This is an Excerpt from
      Tending Life's Garden: Between Ignorance and Enlightenment VI
      by Master Hsing Yun
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic