17871Re: "Right Effort"

  • dan330033
    Sep 6, 2011
      You don't know what I'm getting or not getting, Walto.

      What you think you know, is what an image in your mind that you've constructed after reading words - is getting or not getting.

      But ... really, you don't even know that.

      There isn't anything to get, my friend, nor anyone existing apart who could get something like that, even if it could have existed ...

      - D -

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
      > > > >
      > > > Maybe I just disagree with you? We could agree to disagree: In fact, each could acknowledge that the other was correct and that his position wasn't necessarily a function of some psychological defect. I'm willing to do that--Are you?
      > > > >

      > > > I didn't put that well. Obviously, neither of us is likely to acknowledge that the other is "correct." I should have said something like "each could acknowledge that the other takes a different view of the matter, but that his position isn't necessarily a function of some psychological defect or incompleteness. I'm willing to do that--Are you?"
      > > >
      > > > Sorry for any confusion.

      > > there is no separably existing "you" to hold a view, nor is there any way that sentences being typed can constitute an actual view that can be agreed with or disagreed with.
      > >

      > Right. Here's what you're not getting: what you have written above is something I disagree with. That is, it is my view that you're wrong that there is no separately existing me for you to disagree with. (You could write that six more times and I still would think it's quite false--Seven or more times, I make no promises...)
      >

      > OTOH, "Sentences being typed" can refer either to what philosophers call types or to what they call tokens, so, depending on what you what you intended, It seems very likely to me, though, that you have disagreed with what I have written in the very post to which I'm now responding. I guess it's Eastern to say in one breath "You're wrong that you are independent and have views separate from mine" and "There is nothing you write that I could disagree with because we aren't actually separate." Such contradictions do have a nice Eastern feel to them and make one pleasantly dizzy, but are not my thing nevertheless.
      >
      > Your position is no doubt sexier and more "spiritual"--plus it's nice for nothing to require effort. I nevertheless don't agree with it.
      >
      > Strange as it may seem, however, I don't like to argue. Although I'm admittedly quite often wrong (about nearly everything), it's also my view that that happens to be the case with everyone. Almost everybody is almost always wrong about almost everything. I'm quite cognizant of the fact that I'm not likely to convince anybody (and, as said, my views are not too sexy, even if I've leaned on the Eightfold Path to make them, so I'll shut up now. Plus (as you sensibly suggest below) it sucks to be late for dinner.
      >
      > Best wishes,

      > > as for what this is - one knows this directly - and is clear that words aren't adding to what this is, nor can they diminish it.
      > >
      > > sharing words is for fun and enjoyment - but not to establish something ...

> [...]
    • Show all 199 messages in this topic