17858Words of Wisdom by Swami Chidananda

    Sep 4, 2011
      The Power of Persistence

      Come out of the cage of your little, egoistical,
      selfish personality. Renounce and sacrifice
      this selfish personality at the altar of humanity.
      Where there is no "I", where there is no mind,
      where there is no selfishness, there is ideal
      karma yoga. It becomes upasana (worship).

      You can be established in a state where even
      though acting, you are no more acting. Karma or
      work cannot bind you because you are acting without
      sense of doership. The feeling "I am doing" is not
      there; rather, "He is getting it done through me."
      You are a witness of your own activity, a witness
      of your own actions, and the poison of kartritva
      or sense of doer-ship is removed from the activity;
      it becomes sublime activity. Then it is God's will
      that manifests itself through you.

      To be established in this state of inner absence
      of self, one has to diligently pursue a method of
      sadhana (daily spiritual practice) and persist in
      it, diligently continue to negate the ego, negate
      the self. It does not come in a day, but it comes
      if you are persistent.

      In his "Song of Eighteen Ities," Gurudev has used
      two expressions that seem more or less similar in
      their meaning. He used the expression "fixity": being
      firm, firmly fixed in your vow, in your pratijna
      (resolve), in your determination. Be firmly fixed,
      let nothing shake you. Become so established in
      your niyama (observance) that nothing can move you.
      Fixity indicates a certain attitude, a state that
      you have achieved or attained in your interior.
      You have become strong within, unshakable within,
      firm within.

      While fixity involves a certain inner state you
      have reached after much diligence and struggle,
      the second expression, "tenacity," indicates an
      attitude, a certain inner attitude with which you
      live your life, engage in your sadhana. And that
      attitude is a firm resolution not to give up no
      matter what obstacles come, no matter what setbacks,
      no matter what disappointments or discouragements.

      "I will not leave my pursuit until and unless I
      get complete success in it. I shall not give up
      this sadhana, I shall continue with this abhyasa
      (practice), I will not give up"—this attitude is
      called tenacity. Having taken up something wise,
      something good, never to abandon it, never to leave
      it, to be determined to come out victorious—this
      attitude is called tenacity.

      Tenacity is different from obstinacy. Obstinacy
      is a negative, tamasic quality. You should not have
      tenacity with regard to some wrong things that you
      might have taken up in a state of folly. Tenacity
      is a positive quality, sattvic: never to swerve from
      your purpose, from your determination. In this way,
      there should be in the heart of the sadhak (one who
      is getting or trying to get realization)the
      determined adherence to one's ideals, and one must
      be established in an inner state which is unassailable,
      not affected by anything.

      A person of a very negative nature does not commence
      any serious undertaking due to hesitancy. "Oh, if
      I undertake this, who knows, afterwards this difficulty
      may come, that obstacle may come." So thinking,
      even though he intends to have a good life and do
      good things, because of this nervousness and fear
      of obstacles, he never does them. This is not good.
      There are others who no doubt start doing something
      good, but when obstacles and troubles come in their
      way, they give it up. But the real spiritual seeker,
      the real sadhak, once having taken up something,
      no matter how many obstacles or difficulties come,
      how many adverse circumstances face him, he always
      thinks, "No, I'll never leave it! I have taken this
      up, I will see it through, I shall not be deterred
      by anything." This is the uttama adhikari (best
      qualified aspirant).

      That is the thing needful in your spiritual life.
      Fixity of principles, and tenacity—never to let go.
      It leads to success. Lord Krishna says in His Gita
      jnana upades (wisdom teaching): "Never leave your
      abhyasa, never give up your abhyasa. Because that
      is the secret of success and attainment. You may
      fail, that does not matter. If you are persistent
      in your abhyasa you will attain Me." A seemingly
      impossible thing becomes possible in the face of
      sheer persistent abhyasa, regular, unfailing, unbroken
      abhyasa. It breaks down all barriers; it breaks down
      all obstacles on the way; it overcomes all hurdles
      and reaches the goal. This is the type of nature that
      the sadhak should seek to develop within himself.
      In that lies the guarantee of his success.

      May the grace of the Supreme Lord be upon you, be
      upon your spiritual life, be upon your spiritual
      striving, so that casting aside any doubt, any
      misgivings like, "whether I shall attain or not,
      whether I shall succeed or not, whether I have
      chosen the right thing or not," and not allowing
      any such misgivings or doubts to come into the mind,
      with determination and tenacity, be firmly
      established in sadhana. Let your sadhana, your
      abhyasa be akhanda (unbroken). And with firm faith
      and determination, may you through such unbroken
      sadhana enter into that supreme state which is
      beyond sorrow and suffering, which is peace and
      joy! For that is your birthright. For that attainment
      alone you have been born as a human being and with
      good samskaras (mental impressions) and good vasanas
      (subtle desires). May you not be indifferent to your
      own highest welfare. May you be serious in your
      sadhana. May God shower grace upon you!
      Much more by and about Swami Chidananda can be
      found on this spiritual treasure:
      http://www.divyajivan.org/
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic