17389I’ve already died a thousand times

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Sep 1, 2010

      Anyone who enjoys inner peace is no more broken by failure than he is
      inflated by  success.

      He is able to fully live his experiences in the context of a vast and  profound serenity, since he understands that experiences
      are ephemeral and that  it is useless to cling to them.

      There will be no “hard fall” when things turn bad and  he is confronted with adversity.
      He does not sink into depression, since his  happiness rests on a solid foundation.

      One year before her death at Auschwitz,  the remarkable
      Etty Hillesum, a young Dutchwoman, affirmed: “When you have an
      interior life, it certainly doesn’t matter what side of the prison you’re on.

      . . . I’ve  already died a thousand times in a thousand concentration camps.

      I know  everything.
      There is no new information to trouble me.
      One way or another, I  already know everything, and yet, I find this life beautiful and rich in meaning.
      At  every moment.”

      Changing the way we see the world does not imply a naive optimism or
      some artificial euphoria designed to counterbalance adversity.

      So long as we are slaves to the dissatisfaction and frustration that arise from the confusion that rules our minds, it will be just as futile to tell ourselves “I’m happy!” over and over again as it would be to repaint a wall in ruins.

      The search for happiness is not about looking at life through
      rose-colored glasses or blinding oneself to the pain and imperfections of
      the world.

      Nor is happiness a state of exaltation to be perpetuated at all
      costs; it is the purging of mental toxins such as hatred and obsession
      that literally poison the mind.

      It is also about learning how to put things in perspective and reduce the gap between appearances and reality.

      To that end we must acquire a better knowledge of how the mind works and a more accurate insight into the nature of things, for in its deepest
      sense, suffering is intimately linked to a misapprehension of the nature
      of reality.

      - Matthieu Ricard,

      --------

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic