17371The Wisdom of Jainism

    Aug 11, 2010
      As long as I am seated in this meditation,
      I shall patiently suffer all calamities that
      might befall me, be they caused by an animal, a human
      being or a god.

      I renounce, for the duration [of this meditation],
      my body, all food, and
      all passions. Attachment, aversion, fear,
      sorrow, joy, anxiety, self-pity... all these
      I abandon with body, mind, and speech. I further re-
      nounce all delight and all repulsion of a sexual nature.

      Whether it is life or death, whether gain or
      loss, whether defeat or victory, whether meeting
      or separation, whether friend or enemy, whether
      pleasure or pain, I have equanimity towards all.

      In [attaining] knowledge, insight, and proper
      conduct, [the cause] isinvariably nothing but
      my own soul. Similarly, my soul [is cause] for
      both the influx of karmas and the stopping of that influx.

      One and eternal is my soul, characterized by
      intuition and knowledge; all
      other states that I undergo are external to me,
      for they are formed by associations. Because of
      these associations my soul has suffered the
      chains of misery; therefore I renounce with body,
      mind, and speech, all
      relationships based on such associations.

      Thus have I attained to equanimity and to my
      own self-nature. May this state of equanimity
      be with me until I attain salvation.

      Jainism. Samayika Patha