17327Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Compassion

  • Sandeep
    Jul 5, 2010

      Hi Sean,

      I am sure humaneness guided your thoughts and actions while discharging your duties as a soldier.

      However, I believe this is not the forum where the geo-politics can be discussed....

      ... the geo-politics and the real objectives  ....which have driven the actions in the last 100 years of all the Colonial Powers, whether that is the British, or the US or the Soviets...in producing the "Talibans" for each side... in what is known as the "Great Game" in the regions of central Asia, including Afghanistan.

      You stated Islam is a state.

      Well, the term "Islam" connotes one who has surrendered.

      In surrender......there is no "to" in the surrender.

      Or "by".

      Which makes mockery of the justifications of the actions which are enacted these days under the so called sanctification of Islam

      The use of the ideology known as  "Islam" (or Hinduism, or Christianity) as a tool to establish an organization which is nothing but a power structure with it's innate need to perpetuate and to spread the area of influence....

      ..... is no different to the use of another ideology known as "democracy" .......to establish power structures which has the same needs.

      And with all the same attendant "ugliness".

      Democracy as a principle of governance whereby the people's will and wishes are to be represented and enacted in each and every aspect of governance
      whether that be economics, welfare, politics,  relationships between nations, social-value systems  etc etc........does not exist anywhere.

      The very process of mandate selection which is to execute the principles of democracy is the starting corruption of the very principles.

      Whether that be White House or Whitehall or New Delhi.

      sean tremblay wrote:

        First thing, I would state is that I believe that compassion is a natural state for the human "Being"  anyone who has kids or can remember there early childhood knows this from observation.  There is a reason for this, we are a communal animal that relies on one another for survival.  We are not a solitary creature.  Bonds formed by love and compassion are completely necessary.  The lack of compassion is the result of internalizing external forces.
        Second thing, war Democracy/Allah as stated below.  I have to speak on this having been a soldier and a combat veteran.  It is not that simple. Islam is not a state it is a religion and like every religion there are a thousand ways of practicing that religion.  Democracy is not a state it is a philosophy of governance and economics.  Which can again manifest itself in a number of ways.  As a soldier from a democratic state, I can firmly say that "Obliteration" and "Genocide" has NEVER been a part of my mission statement, never been a part of my objective nor have I acted as a representative to any organization that authorizes or approves or even desires "Genocide" and "Obliteration" .  Lets look at what the forces of Democracy are doing in Afghanistan.  After a coup the King was taken out of power and a "Republic was established by his cousin, this republic was challenged and defeated within two years by Communists based in Kabul.  Communism was challenged by tribal leaders and traditionalists mostly from the Rural Pashtun populations.  In a nut shell the country a once popular tourist destination and suppler of wheat for all of Asia descended into chaos.  The Russians intervened on behalf of the Communist regime. As we all know in a very heavy handed way, they deliberastly attacked the food supply, they mined the crap out of the country side and destroyed a nation.  When the Russians pulled out the country was left in chaos, War lords battled for control and the people suffered.  In walked the Taliban from Pakistan, they brought order from chaos through fear, public execution, and violence.
      Currently the Afghan government and the Afghan constitution was written by and is run by Afghans.  They have chosen an "Islamic Republic" we have made no effort to push an American style democracy.  Also the goals of the Taliban and the other terrorist groups differ.  Al Queda wants a pan Islamic Caliphate with the head I'm sure being in Saudi Arabia, the Taliban wants control of Afghanistan, Religion is a motivator.  Currently the Taliban rule in areas where the Police, and other authorities don't have a strong presence.  And again they rule through fear, murder and intimidation, so I ask is it NOT compassionate to intervene on behalf of the people who suffer.  I have gone over every act of violence I was part of in Afghanistan every day   anylizing my actions.  I know that the safety and well being of the people I was charged to protect was first and foremost in my mind and that was the consideration I took on every action, I never dehumanized my enemy, so when it came to engage them and drive them out it was in knowing that by stopping them, I might save the lives of many, girls might go to school and not fear acid thrown in there faces, farmers will be able to feed there families, Men will not be murdered and women not be beaten.   I didnt do it for democracy, I did it for the Afghans!
      If that is not compassion I don't know what is, and I don't care

      -

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic