17273Re: 108 – An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

  • eveneon
    Jun 7, 2010
      Hi Bob! I have recently started to meditate again after a several year break while I've been settling into motherhood, and this is the technique that I chose to start with. Meditation used to come fairly easily for me. Now, not so much. The 108 technique was like an old friend. I was grateful to have remembered it, to help me begin my practice again.
      Warmly,
      Eve Hoyt

      > At the request of a former student at several
      > series of our classes, we are posting this
      > unique technique. It can also be found on our web site.
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > 108 – An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
      >
      > Anything in life that brings you closer to inner
      > peace can be said to be "good". Anything that
      > takes your peace away is "bad". Of course, it is
      > a given that anything that only brings you
      > momentary peace, like drugs, is not "good".
      > To really qualify, the peace must be everlasting.
      > Very often, good, and thus peace, doesn't come
      > easily. For instance, politically and historically,
      > it has often taken a war to bring about a lasting
      > peace between enemies. An example of this can be
      > found in the relationships between America, Japan,
      > Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World
      > War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
      > progress and at peace.
      >
      > Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
      > war-like interaction going on between the mind,
      > body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
      > real peace. As the events in our life take place,
      > we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
      > sometimes more one way and at other times more
      > in another. This slave-like reactivity makes our
      > life seem out of control, bouncing back and forth
      > between joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace.
      > This anxiety and conflict filled state can be
      > witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
      > Self. This Witness to our life has always been
      > there/here, silent, non-labeling, non-commenting,
      > non-judging, and is present now. As you are reading
      > these words, your Witness is aware of your mind's
      > mentations, your body's sensations, and your
      > emotion's feelings. If your inner chattering stops
      > rambling on, you can sit back in your mind's eye
      > and Witness your body/ego's reactions. It is at a
      > moment when this occurs that what has been called
      > your higher intuitive center kicks in and you will
      > know, with a gut feeling, just what to do. You will
      > then be able to witness your mind, body, and emotions
      > act, and either cease the reactivity that has taken
      > away your peace, or start to do that which will
      > bring about peace in your life. For instance, you
      > may have been banging your head against the wall for
      > years, even though this caused you to suffer terribly.
      > Your friends may have told you countless times that
      > your life would be more peaceful if you would just
      > stop doing this foolish activity. But, you never
      > listened, or perhaps justified it as worth continuing
      > with for some silly and illogical reason such as that
      > it felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself
      > now. Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a
      > "Yep! That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get
      > angry and defensive and deny that this concept could
      > not apply to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?
      >
      > Just as it is unlikely that you would continue to
      > keep banging your head against the wall once you
> [...]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic