17251Health, EEG Studies, and Schools of Tibetan Buddhism

  • WestWind
    May 28, 2010
      Ketrina's mention that hundreds of articles exist on the scientific study of meditation got my curiosity so on Google I found several articles of interest which I thought I would pass along. Back in the early 1970s I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area where the general thought was there were more mystics running around for the given population than there was in India. I hung on the peripheries of the various organizations, but did not really trust them because many of the teachers seemed to me to be into it for the power and money. I went my own road after a while, but meditated regularly about 45 minutes a day for decades. Maybe I am doing some catching up. What caught my interest on the Google search is that after seven years a person who meditates has about half the health issues of one who does not. Also, one who meditates can have profound control over the parasympathetic nervous system, and be able to delve into the psyche at such a level that they can get into trouble psychologically. Looking back I guess I was lucky to not have done myself any damage if I go by this web site: http://www.kagyu.org.nz/content/tibetanbuddhism.html

      This other link discusses EEG and lowered metabolic activity of advanced mediators with control of the parasympathetic nervous system (control over heart rate and metabolism) showing the condition to be different than sleep, deep sleep and being awake. http://physiologyonline.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/13/3/149
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic