      From: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com [mailto: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of medit8ionsociety
      Sent: April-16-10 5:17 PM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America ] Taoist Wisdom

      The Eight Things Need To Be Reduced

      Author: The Sie Bien & Lie Ming Sen
      Translated by: D. Wijaya

      The eight things that have to be reduced when you
      want to have a better result in practicing Taoism are:

      1. Lessen envious / jealousy.
      Envy is a burden for oneself and usually would
      to a destructive conduct. This character has to
      be eliminated.

      2. Lessen criticizing others.
      Lots of people does not like to be criticized,
      moreover, the critics are said in front of the
      public in attacking manners. Hold down and find
      a wiser way out is a way to compensate those criticizing.

      3. Not to show off.
      Showing off will lead to arrogant. It seems like
      "only I who exist, but you aren't".

      4. Reduced revenge action.
      Revenge is also a burden towards oneself. Especially
      when it is applied to small matters. We will be
      exiled from our community, not having any friends
      and destroy ourselves.

      5. Lessen the action of taking anything into account.
      In our conduct, if we always calculate on benefits
      and losses up to small matters, then how are we
      going to learn and practice Taoism? Learning and
      practicing Taoism needs an open mind, simplicity of
      attitudes and conducts / behaviors in life, but
      still have principles.

      6. Not to make any trouble, not being a nuisance
      or annoying others. Those are often become a disaster,
      which caused a broken friendship and inharmonious life.

      7. Reducing the desire of winning over.
      Generally, one is still tight to wealth and fame.
      If he always wants to win, this means seeking for
      fame and as if he is the best, actually, he is still at beginner-level of learning Taoism, that is
      "There is only me, but no one else".

      8. Reducing the feeling of being right.
      Usually if considering oneself being the most
      righteous, meaning he is the cleverest and others
      are wrong and stupid. A person that feels being the
      most righteous or the cleverest, really is the most
      stupid person, or in other words; that is his
      stupidity by showing off being the most cleverest.
      This person is still at the stage of
      "There is only me, but no one else".

      By reducing your bad characters bit by bit, so it
      will change your attitude from the stage of
      "There is only me, but no one else" to
      "I'm the first one and you are next",
      until then reach the stage of
      "You are the first one, I'm the next".
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law. cornell.edu/ uscode/17/ 107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic