17045Becoming Well Balanced

    Mar 6, 2010
      We all have a predisposition to react either
      physically, emotionally, or intellectually.
      This makes us unbalanced, habitual, compulsive,
      and slave-like in our reactivity. A good
      Meditation teacher will be able to advise
      us how to recognize which of these characteristics
      is our most predominate and suggest ("prescribe")
      meditation techniques that help us gain control
      over our primary reactivity, and others that
      strengthen the other 2 aspects of our nature.
      The end result is being well balanced with Self
      knowledge and Self control. As an example, let's
      say that we are primarily reactive emotionally.
      Our meditative task would be to gain control
      over our emotional reactivity, and to strengthen
      our physical and intellectual awareness and
      reactions to the strength level of our emotions.
      This will leave us well balanced. So, for example,
      the emotionally reactive person, who is trying
      to get this reactivity under control, may do well
      to do meditation techniques that emphasize
      dispassion, while doing intellectual techniques
      like pondering the ancient formula of "I am not
      my body, I am not my mind, I am not my emotions",
      as well as doing physical awareness exercises
      such as the Zen tea ceremony. In some traditions,
      like the Sufi, or "4th way" of Gurdjieff, it is
      only the person who has achieved this balanced,
      Self controlled state who is able to act. Until
      that point is reached, the teaching is that we
      are merely in a robot-like dream state, and cannot
      "do" anything. And our life is just one reaction
      after another.

      Meditation is the methodology that shines the light
      of our inner Witness and wakes us up from our dream.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic