      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Effortless Effort
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 12:50 PM

      sean tremblay <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > A question about charity
      > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something

      Yo Sean
      In the Hindu tradition, there are only 3 types
      of actions /energies (Gunas):
      Tamas – which is characterized such adverbs and
      adjectives as darkness, doing things by rote, evil,
      negativity, solely for ego reasons, dull, sluggish,
      inertia, stagnation, selfish, etc.
      Ragas – chasing after desires for greedy
      reasons, creativeness, passion, competitiveness,
      ambition, stimulation; much like Tamas but
      at least there is energetic activity.
      Sattva – peace, serenity, calm, selfless,
      compassionate, and if we say that Tamas is dark,
      Sattva is light.
      In our classes, dozens of times I gave this example:
      If a community decides to build a gymnasium for the
      neighborhood children so they have a safe place
      to play, all types of people may agree that this
      is a good thing to do. But they may have different
      reasons why they do contribute to this project:
      The Tamasic person may give $1000 because his
      family always gave to similar causes.
      The Rajasic person may give $1000 but insist
      the gym is named after them.
      The Sattvic person would donate $1000 anonymously
      just because It helps a good thing to happen.
      So we can see that all the donations may be labeled
      acts of charity, but come from different motivating energies.
      The way to "use" the Gunas concept is to place
      our Self in the Witness position and when we see
      ourselves acting Tamasic or Rajasic, use the
      methods you have found to be successful to kick it
      up into Sattva. Meditation is excellent for Witnessing
      and as a tool of transformation of energies to Sattva.
      Thinking of the question oh where does Charity
      originate from, I'm reminded about a bit of wisdom
      that Sri Jody R once stated:
      That I think was never refuted…… to paraphrase….
      "All the things we do are to done to seek comfort".
      Similarly, I think it was Kir Li Molari who said:
      "The most selfish person is the most selfless person,
      because s/he knows that be being selfless you the
      greatest benefit."
      These and many similar ideas are well worth meditating about.