16950Re: Ahisma

    Jan 26, 2010
      "James" <teechrlady@...> wrote:

      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Buddhism: "Hurt not others in ways that you
      > > yourself would find hurtful." -- Udana-Varga, 5:18
      > >
      > > Christianity: "All things whatsoever ye would that
      > > men should do to you, do ye even so to them." --
      > > Jesus, in Matthew 7:12
      > >
      > > Confucianism: "Do not unto others what you would
      > > not have them do unto you." -- Analects 15:23
      > >
      > > Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto
      > > others which would cause you pain if done to you."
      > > -- Mahabharata 5:1517
      > >
      > > Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not to your
      > > fellow man. That is the law: all the rest is
      > > commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a
      > >
      > > Islam: "No one of you is a believer until he
      > > desires for his brother that which he desires for
      > > himself." -- Sunnah

      >what if the person says to you watch out you may get it back
      >in other words he said that to me as if i was a threat to him, > >and he makes good on his words
      >how should i handle that, should i say to him watch out
      >you dont get it in return.

      If I'm reading you correctly, you are asking if it's
      proper to make threats back to someone who threatens
      you. That's about 180 degrees away from the concept
      of Ahisma. If you don't like what someone is doing to you,
      don't do that to him. Swami Sivananda wrote over 350
      books and summed up all of his teachings in 4 words that
      very well sums up how we should act, and it is in a way
      that is totally at one with Ahisma.
      He said "Be good. Do good."