16931RE: [Meditation Society of America] Cancer

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Jan 15, 2010

      I called the man by 2 names, I see.  He wasn’t “Bill” – he was “Claude”.  I was still protecting his embarrassed family, I guess, by giving him a pseudonym.  By now, they probably realize that Claude was onto something.

      From: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com [mailto: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Aideen Mckenna
      Sent: January-15-10 8:42 PM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Meditation Society of America ] Cancer

      Many years ago, I knew of a man in my city who was diagnosed with an inoperable cancerous brain tumour.  The doctors told him that he had less than 5 months to live, but recommended radiation treatment as well as chemotherapy.  He was given a date for the first radiation treatment but he asked them to postpone it for a couple of days because he wanted time to prepare.  They thought he was crazy.  He used those 2 days to visualize.  He also asked a lot of questions about how the chemotherapy worked & he applied visualization techniques before, during & after those treatments too.  This was in the era of “Pacman” & Bill visualized chemo-Pacmen gobbling up the cancer cells.  The tumour had been growing rapidly, but tests showed that it was beginning to shrink at a rate the medical types couldn’t believe.  Eventually it was a mere pinpoint, all but gone.

      Throughout Bill’s ordeal, he came in for much disrespect & ridicule in the hospitals & doctors’ offices.  His relatives (whom I knew) considered him an embarrassment to the family.  Apparently no one believed that a person could aid in his own healing – a sensible person was supposed to be a passive recipient of the treatments, without wasting everyone’s time with questions & delays for “preparation”.  He lived with the tumour for a couple of decades.  It would begin to grow every so often, & Claude would rev up his visualizations to shrink it again. Eventually, the doctors were less inclined to make fun of him.  When he died (of something else), it was a peaceful, happy event, because he was prepared & accepting.  I wish I’d known him personally.  He’d figured all this out for himself.