16868Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Nov 20, 2009
      The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
      very ancient handle materials. One is from
      mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
      30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
      and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
      years old.
      As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
      a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
      when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
      or in the company of a holy being, saint or
      newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
      the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
      Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
      is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
      are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
      that flew through, and still remains. And now the
      beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
      environments is now visible and to me is a
      demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
      universe that are available within and without.
      I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
      in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
      creations.
      PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
      in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic