16787Meditation Is About More Than Enlightenment

    Sep 4, 2009
      Over the many years we have held meditation
      classes, we always start the 1st class by asking
      the students why they are taking the course.
      Invariably, the great majority would cite
      a need to be able to deal with stress better.
      My estimate is between 70% and 80% would
      answer this way, and 10-20% would say that
      their physician or therapist recommended it to
      them. We also always seemed to have a husband
      or wife or 2 who were there just because their
      spouse was taking the course. And we usually had
      several who had been "into" meditation for years,
      or were repeating the class, sometimes for years.
      What was unusual was that usually only one
      or two out of a class of 25 would say they were
      there to help them get enlightened. Not to brag,
      but to be informational, I want to share that
      each Adult Education program we taught for
      requested the students to evaluate the class
      right after the last (10th) one, and we always
      100% of the time received "Excellent" ratings.
      And this is due to the content and experiences
      that each class contained. And nothing in any
      way was "new under the sun". Each guided meditation
      and each "how-to" lesson and each concept was
      ancient in origin and we were just spinning it
      in 20th and 21st century American-english with
      a Philly accent. And those who came with no
      previous experience did gain hands-on 1st hand
      handy methods that they could apply to their
      lives immediately and ever after that did help
      them deal with stress, or deal with their
      physical, emotional, or mental dis-ease. So,
      please don't get the impression that getting
      Enlightened/Realized/Cosmic Conscious, etc., is
      what meditation is about. If that happens, fine!
      But what I feel matters is that there is no doubt
      that when you meditate you will suffer less in
      many ways and deal with your life better and better.
      For sure, it is the best thing you can learn and do.
      It will "work" (bring you peace) 100% for sure...
      if you actually meditate. Talking about it, reading
      about it, writing about it, etc., may or may not
      lead to anything, but actually meditating will.
      Here on this forum we are blessed with having very
      wise people sharing deep and important insights, and
      they are often aimed at those who are trying to
      "get Enlightened". And that is an amazing treasure
      worth more than gold or diamonds, but please don't
      get the impression that if you seek meditation
      knowledge for less lofty aims, there is something
      lacking in you or in what meditation can do for
      you. All you have to do is meditate.